Best dive sites Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As @Lorenzoid says - "best site" really depends on your personal criteria. We often visits Bonaire but last year was the first time we ever dove Andrea I - and we went back over and over because we kept seeing great things, it's an easy entry, was never that crowded - and we were entertained on the surface interval by Parrot Fish so close-in in the shallows that their dorsal fin breaks the surface.

Another first on this trip was a visit to Candyland which is up North of the oil transfer depot. Site is very private and has excellent coral quality and underwater life.

Another great dive is Angel City. Strangely, I don't see many Angel fish here -- but both the first and second reefs here are great. I like to head North (right) on the first reef which is an excellent reef visit topped off by the Hilma Hooker wreck emerging into view right around the dive mid-point.

There are 88 dive sites maintained by STINAPA; 26 are on Klein (boat dives, of course), and a number (9+) of the remaining 62 have no or very difficult shore entry, so are boat dives only. in addition to the 88 STINAPA sites, there are about 140 other named sites that you'll find in Susan Porter's Bonaire Shore Diving Made EAsy (BSDME) or on Bas Diving. Other publications may list some more, and of course some sites have more than one name (examples: Something Special = Playa Pabou, Ol' Blue = Tolo, Calabas Reef = Divi, White Hole = Blue Hole, and Witch's Hut = Weber's Joy). And some sites that were great dives are no long listed anywhere or "open," for example the Town Pier and Our Confidence. And then there are the beyond-recreational-depth dive sites that are rarely listed, for example the Windjammer. Finally there are at least a few cave dives that are absolutely not spoken of or guided or accessible without being a local insider.

As @Lorenzoid says - "best site" really depends on your personal criteria. We often visits Bonaire but last year was the first time we ever dove Andrea I - and we went back over and over because we kept seeing great things, it's an easy entry, was never that crowded - and we were entertained on the surface interval by Parrot Fish so close-in in the shallows that their dorsal fin breaks the surface.

Another first on this trip was a visit to Candyland which is up North of the oil transfer depot. Site is very private and has excellent coral quality and underwater life.

Another great dive is Angel City. Strangely, I don't see many Angel fish here -- but both the first and second reefs here are great. I like to head North (right) on the first reef which is an excellent reef visit topped off by the Hilma Hooker wreck emerging into view right around the dive mid-point.
I like to head straight out (West) to the mooring line, continue West to the second reef, turn LEFT (South) , go along it until it merges back into the first reef, then return (slowly ascending) swimming North along the first reef back to the mooring line, then straight in. Done slowly, it is a one-hour dive with lots to see. the second reef is terrific.

I like to head straight out (West) to the mooring line, continue West to the second reef, turn LEFT (South) , go along it until it merges back into the first reef, then return (slowly ascending) swimming North along the first reef back to the mooring line, then straight in. Done slowly, it is a one-hour dive with lots to see. the second reef is terrific.
Hold it. I had assumed you were referring to Angel City and then remembered what happens when you assume. So, thought I should get clarification. Thanks!

Erik

Hold it. I had assumed you were referring to Angel City and then remembered what happens when you assume. So, thought I should get clarification. Thanks!

Erik
Oops, sorry. Yes, Angel City.

Instead of listing the far too many good sites, list the ones to avoid. Much smaller list :).
Avoid Atlantis for the kite-surfers, who may also stray a dive site or two further north (Red Beryl and Margate Bay) and south (Vista Blue and Sweet Dreams).
Avoid any that have currents (typical at the far south end of the island, like Red Slave and Willemstoren Lighthouse) , or entries or exits not in your comfort zone (most of the East Coast, and other sites depending on the winds and the beach topography).
That leaves a LOT of sites not on this list!

Best site is often the one I'm on, but I'm partial to South Side Klein sites - shallow moorings, sand bottom with hard and soft coral structures makes great nurseries for juvi things, turtles, and over the last few years, more sharks showing up. Southwest Corner when you can get there - confluence can bring interesting stuff in. Forest & Bonaventure never fail. Mid to south island sites, again, the shallows provide a convenient way to off gas and find macro stuff. Salt Pier and the surrounding sites never get old. Someone mentioned The Lake - just watch your navigation on any of the double reef sites. Last fall, my buddy got turned cattywampus, kept trying to tell me out over the 'Lake' - a sand flat - and across the second reef - was the way to shore. (We got into an underwater argument. He's a DM w thousands of dives, not wanting to listen to his only-400-mostly-warm-water-dives spouse) Hindsight I simply should have pulled up my darn compass and stuck it in his face. Invisibles, Tories Reef. Hooker, but I prefer it from boat. Not sure what is left of Our Confidence - last time I saw it was 2010 or so and a few storms have knocked around since then. East Coast is awesome, but not without a guide. I think it would be too easy to get hurt without someone who really knows the terrain and has does it routinely. We went out once w Bas Tol from shore and once by boat.

Not sure what is left of Our Confidence - last time I saw it was 2010 or so and a few storms have knocked around since then.
I dived her in 2004 just after she sank, then every year or two after that. The last dive there was in 2015, when the remaining rubble was barely recognizable as a boat. Might go again this Spring, just to see....

Back
Top Bottom