"best" dive shop in Playa del carmen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was in PDC two weeks ago and dove with Tank-Ha. we only had 6 people on the boat. they were a decent operation to dive with. i went to Akumal and it was a 250 peso cab ride each way. it took about 20 - 25 minutes to get there. the diving down there was decent also.

Hey bikefox did you dive with Tank-HA on the 16th of january?

I left that morning. I wished I could have though since they had a boat going to Coz. Was that your first day diving there. I thought I dove with someone on the 14th from Baltimore. We talked about some of the wrecks and oysters in the area. Was that you??

your right. it was the 14th. i only dove with tank-ha one day and then went over to akumal. its amazing where you meet other scubaboard members.

what did you think of the maya bric hotel?

barrmust:
your right. it was the 14th. i only dove with tank-ha one day and then went over to akumal. its amazing where you meet other scubaboard members.

what did you think of the maya bric hotel?

It was nothing fancy, but it was very convenient. The staff there was also very nice. Overall the package was great because they pick you up at the Cancun airport, take you to your room and the diving is already setup. Great for a solo traveler like myself. Cheap too!!!

Was there in October 2005 and had a great time diving with them.

Took intro cave course with Protec in January. They are very professional amd well run operation.

I've been looking for similar answers as I'm off there at Easter from the UK - I did post something a couple of weeks ago but not many wanted to reply ahhhhh..............

From a logistics perspective I seemed to have settled on Tank Ha - they offered me a decent tailored package price, but the best things was that I believe they use their own boat to dive Coz. Most of the other centres seem to go over on the ferry and use someone elses, and to me this seems to make too much of a chore out of diving when I'm on vacation.

Anyway when you've decide let us know, and give us a trip report once you've been.

AGF:
I've been looking for similar answers as I'm off there at Easter from the UK -
From a logistics perspective I seemed to have settled on Tank Ha - they offered me a decent tailored package price, but the best things was that I believe they use their own boat to dive Coz. Anyway when you've decide let us know, and give us a trip report once you've been.

Tank ha was greaton my trip,well run and solid staff..... but be sure you do the CENOTEs diving in PDC/Tulum, Tank ha has a package that includes the cave diving.

Small groups and knowledgable DMs make for a super dive experience...say hi to Steven for me!!!

My in-laws swear by ScubaCaribe. They always stay at the Riu Palace. We stayed more in the Rivera Maya area, more south towards Puerto Aventuras and used Aqua World (mixed emotions about them). Be sure to go to Xel-Ha if you have an extra day. Tulum is beautiful, too!

This is a really old thread, but I just got back from Playa del Carmen and wanted to share the results of my quest to find the best dive shop in Playa.

I contacted 19 dive shops in Playa and Tulum and asked them all the same questions. 17 dive shops responded. Scubamoble came out on top. They were the most flexible (e.g. accepted cash, cards, Paypal and did not REQUIRE a deposit), the most accommodating (e.g. arranged for a night reef dive when most wouldn’t), and were the least expensive (both in terms of fully inclusive prices and they don’t charge unreasonable currency exchange rates)! While many responses from shops were canned responses that didn’t directly answer our questions, Scubamobile provided detailed information about all aspects of their services. When we showed up for our dive, all of our rental gear was set up and waiting for us. The equipment was very well maintained and quite new. The shop is clean, well laid out, and even has a small shower. Our dive guides were all top notch - both in terms of experience and personality. On our third day, we realized that we had to check-in for our flight at the time we would be underwater. Scubamobile overheard and offered to check-in for us! Prices will change, but at this time quotes from the various stores for a 2-tank cenote dive (inc. gear, computer and cenote fees) were as high as $180 USD. 1-tank night dives were as high as $110. Scubamoble was a *whole* lot less.

Here is my admittedly somewhat subjective overall ranking of the dive shops based on price, flexibility, and attitude.

1 - Scubamobile (excellent responses)
2 - Playa Scuba (not as good of a shop, but was our fall back plan)
3 - Infinity2Diving (top shop in Tulum)
4 - Tank-Ha (discount for 3 days of diving)
5 - Reef quest (quite a negative response, but otherwise looked ok)
6 - Scuba10 (mid-priced and provides lunch at cenote restaurant)
7 - Scuba Revolution (pretty expensive, but looked like a good option)
8 - Scuba Playa (discount for 3 days of diving)
9 - Mexico Blue Dream
10 - Dive Shop Mexico (2nd most expensive shop)

These shops either were too expensive, too much of a machine, didn't offer the services we needed (e.g. night dives) or didn't respond to additional questions:
Blue Life (most expensive shop)
Scuba Libre
Dive Tulum
Dressel (machine, required reef dive before cenote dive)
Dos Ojos Scuba (cash only and no ocean dives)
Beyond Diving (no dive computers)

In summary, if you want personalized, friendly, professional service at a great price, we found that Scubamobile is the best dive shop in Playa del Carmen.

upload_2017-7-20_11-51-23.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom