Best Dive shop in Cancun/Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to be down in Cancun in July, any recommendations for dive operators in the area? My wife will want to finish her OW cert so one with good instructors is a bonus for sure.

Also, how about some "off the map" dive sites (away from the tourist sites) I like to do photo work so keeping up with a herd of tourist divers is not what I want to do if I can avoid it...

How about shore diving?

Thanks!

Mike

I just recently got back from a week of diving in Cancun. We stayed at a friends' time share in the Royal Islander. The diving was great (at least the underwater part)

We had, before leaving, booked a number of dives with Manta Divers. We did their extreme diving package + extra dives. I want to say first that I truly liked the people at Manta. Fred was great. Nicole and Alex are very dear people, but I believe too inexperienced to lead dives. John and Mimi the owners are also nice people and I believe that Hurricane Wilma knocked their hearts out along with their boats. They only have a small boat (you have to back roll to enter
2072_G
). There were a number of problems that built up over the week. We lost a couple (the same couple) 2 times. The first time, not Manta's fault, they were told to go back to the boat and didn't. The second time was on a dive "lead" by Nicole and Alex. They are also the photo team for Manta. They were so involved in their photography and the current was very strong. They swam up current and were near some coral so they didin't feel the current as strongly as those of us "out in the open." I had all I could do to tread water to not be swept away, the couple with us couldn't hold out and were pushed off by the current. The leaders should have been more attentive to the divers and spent less time on their photography. (We did find the couple the first day because they used a bright yellow fin to signal the boat - the second day they had purchased a sausage). There were other agrevations but the final straw was the trip to Cozumel. Because we were staying in Cancun, it was a full day trip, with van ride to the ferry, the ferry ride, then we walked with our dry (but heavy gear) for about 1/4 mile to find out we needed to take a cab to another area because the boats couldn't come into the harbor - too much wind. Well Alex could see that the boats were not there from the Ferry dock. OK that wasn't too bad. Our dives were good, again from smaller boats. We got back to the ferry and rode across to Playa de Carma, and then Alex said "this way" and started walking. We walked what seemed like a mile up hill to the restaurant in the hot sun carrying our wet gear! And again, Alex was way up front, not paying attention to those of us having difficulty. (If he had told up at the ferry dock that it was going to be a hike, we would have hired someone to take our gear (there were those carriages pulled by bikes at the ferry dock). Then the restaurant where we were supposed to eat was full (soccer game) so we had to go elsewhere. At the conclusion of the meal (that was to have been included) Alex announces he doesn't have enough money and that we need to chip in $15. + tip! Then the van to take us back to Cancum was a half hour late.

I know these seem like little things, but I am only telling you the worst of it. We had many other problems with Manta.

We wanted to dive more than Manta had available (this was a good thing) so we went to Aqua World. What a difference!!!! Large boats, step in entry, one dive leader to every 4 or 5 divers. We did probably 8 dives with Aqua World and with each one I was more impressed with their business. On the first dive, one of the divers was nervous. My buddy and I were to dive with her and a dive master. As we entered, my buddy and I immediately went down but the dive master and the woman didin't come down, instead he signaled us to go with the other group. Later they caught up with the group. On the boat I found out that she was having difficulty so the dive master brought her back onto the boat, got her calmed down and took her back in to finish the dive. This is only one of many pleasant experiences with Aqua World.

I know that anytime in the future I dive where Aqua World is I will definately book with them.

There are other dive shops in Cancun, but these were the only 2 I had experience with.

Hope you have a great trip! If you go with Aqua World, tell Gabrielle we sent you.

There is no shore diving in Cancun. The reefs are pretty far offshore and the surf makes it shore diving impractical. I am glad to hear designbysue had a good experience with Aquaworld, but many ohters have not. It will be difficult to get to an out-of-the way place diving from Cancun, but many operators other than Aquaworld will have small boats. You could also dive from Playa del Carmen. There are a number of good operators there. Tank Ha, Abyss, and Yucatek are all good and take you in small groups. I highly recommend a cenote trip. Just about any dive operator in the area can arrange the trip. I would recommend Yucatek for the cenotes.

The level of quality in Cancun dive operators is NOT that of the operators on Cozumel, except for Scuba Cancun, they have been working Cancun waters uninterupted since 1980. Also, here in Cancun, I recommend hiring a private dive guide that is not affiliated with a shop, your hotel front desk will have a list of names and contact information. The diving's great right now...

Hi Mike, well i just want to let you know that my experience while diving with Manta was incredible, Alex and Nicole were the best, the nicest people, and with all my respect to designbysue, i do not understand what is the problem with the size of the boat, and the roll back entry?, Yes Aquaworld boats are much bigger, very nice people, but the groups are huge, and as you mention lots of this dives are part of an OW course, so there you are with 15 divers, some of them can't control their buoyancy, steping in the coral, shallow dives, no much to see around caz all the big marine life gone. I mean i'm happy you liked it, and again i do respect your point, but i will use Manta again over Aquaworld.

Scuba Cancun, great i did the wreck of the C-53, Jaime was my dive master, what a diver he is incredible, Captain Felipe was pretty nice too, in this dive it was only 3 divers plus DM, perfect dive Jaime is a master, the currents were pretty strong and we were at 85' but he took his time showing us every single spot of the wreck, very slow, and to close the dive a school of 15 spotted eagle rays showed in front of our eyes as we are leaving the wreck, one of the most incredible dives i ever made.

Cenotes you can't miss it, you have to do it, call manta and asl for Lief, i took my Caverns Specialty with him he is great, you'll have the time of your life.

Scuba Cancun gets my vote.

designbysue:
I just recently got back from a week of diving in Cancun. We stayed at a friends' time share in the Royal Islander. The diving was great (at least the underwater part)

We had, before leaving, booked a number of dives with Manta Divers. We did their extreme diving package + extra dives. I want to say first that I truly liked the people at Manta. Fred was great. Nicole and Alex are very dear people, but I believe too inexperienced to lead dives. John and Mimi the owners are also nice people and I believe that Hurricane Wilma knocked their hearts out along with their boats. They only have a small boat (you have to back roll to enter
2072_G
). There were a number of problems that built up over the week. We lost a couple (the same couple) 2 times. The first time, not Manta's fault, they were told to go back to the boat and didn't. The second time was on a dive "lead" by Nicole and Alex. They are also the photo team for Manta. They were so involved in their photography and the current was very strong. They swam up current and were near some coral so they didin't feel the current as strongly as those of us "out in the open." I had all I could do to tread water to not be swept away, the couple with us couldn't hold out and were pushed off by the current. The leaders should have been more attentive to the divers and spent less time on their photography. (We did find the couple the first day because they used a bright yellow fin to signal the boat - the second day they had purchased a sausage). There were other agrevations but the final straw was the trip to Cozumel. Because we were staying in Cancun, it was a full day trip, with van ride to the ferry, the ferry ride, then we walked with our dry (but heavy gear) for about 1/4 mile to find out we needed to take a cab to another area because the boats couldn't come into the harbor - too much wind. Well Alex could see that the boats were not there from the Ferry dock. OK that wasn't too bad. Our dives were good, again from smaller boats. We got back to the ferry and rode across to Playa de Carma, and then Alex said "this way" and started walking. We walked what seemed like a mile up hill to the restaurant in the hot sun carrying our wet gear! And again, Alex was way up front, not paying attention to those of us having difficulty. (If he had told up at the ferry dock that it was going to be a hike, we would have hired someone to take our gear (there were those carriages pulled by bikes at the ferry dock). Then the restaurant where we were supposed to eat was full (soccer game) so we had to go elsewhere. At the conclusion of the meal (that was to have been included) Alex announces he doesn't have enough money and that we need to chip in $15. + tip! Then the van to take us back to Cancum was a half hour late.

I know these seem like little things, but I am only telling you the worst of it. We had many other problems with Manta.

We wanted to dive more than Manta had available (this was a good thing) so we went to Aqua World. What a difference!!!! Large boats, step in entry, one dive leader to every 4 or 5 divers. We did probably 8 dives with Aqua World and with each one I was more impressed with their business. On the first dive, one of the divers was nervous. My buddy and I were to dive with her and a dive master. As we entered, my buddy and I immediately went down but the dive master and the woman didin't come down, instead he signaled us to go with the other group. Later they caught up with the group. On the boat I found out that she was having difficulty so the dive master brought her back onto the boat, got her calmed down and took her back in to finish the dive. This is only one of many pleasant experiences with Aqua World.

I know that anytime in the future I dive where Aqua World is I will definately book with them.

There are other dive shops in Cancun, but these were the only 2 I had experience with.

Hope you have a great trip! If you go with Aqua World, tell Gabrielle we sent you.

Hi Sue;
what a surprise with your comments on Alex and Nicole and the Manta guys, and also catch my attention your nice words regarding Aqua world. I will just tell you that everybody talks depending on the experience on the Fairground. Personally I WON'T DIVE AGAIN with AQUA WORLD, those guys took my money to an Open Water Certification, and without the material (books or videos) on my third dive they took me to Santa Rosa to 125 Feet deep. Now I know that should not happened ever, the group was more than 12 divers and I 'am still waiting for my book. On the other hand I had dove with Alex the Chac Mol Cenote and I could tell everybody that for my first Cavern Dive experience if he/she was not Alex or Nicole I just won't go. If for your dives you are looking for big boats, I will suggest for you Royal Caribean Cruises.

Kind regards to everybody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom