Best dive operators in Provenciales? ( Turks & Caicos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am leaving for the Turks & Caicos early December. I am looking for opinions about the plethora of dive operations. I am an experienced diver - NAUI DM: non-professional - with 150+dives. I will be alone, wife no likey divey, and tend to enjoy challenging recreational dives. Not interested in liveaboards this time, just land based dive operators. Any thoughts, experiences or pearls of opinions? I want to arrange my dives in advance.

Check out Caicos Adventures Fifi runs a great operation, do a search on here lots about Caicos

I second tarheeldiver. Been diving with Caicos Adventures for over a decade. Great op. No complaints.

My family (wife and two junior divers) dove for over a week with Fifi and crew. We had a great time. One thing to remember about Provo diving is that the boat rides are pretty long. We checked out the boats as much as we did the dive ops. We were totally happy with our choice. Fifi has the largest boats that we knew of and they were very comfortable and never crowded. His crew is like family and I'd highly recommend this professional organization.

Are you THE Fred Garvin-male prostitute? I was just talking about you yesterday!!
Never been to T/C, but MAY go in July.
Stay in touch...
Bean

We used Dive Provo and Caicos Adventures. Both are great.

Are you THE Fred Garvin-male prostitute? I was just talking about you yesterday!!
Never been to T/C, but MAY go in July.
Stay in touch...
Bean

A friend just sent me this email:

"By the way, how's the male prostitute business going? Still wearing your truss?"

My response:

"Just got a new set last week. Titanium with purple nylon stays. Works great and so light weight."

Unfortunately however, business is really down what with the economy, gas prices and all...

I dived with Caicos Adventures - Fifi - early December. Conditions: good not great. A bit of chop, some diminished clarity yada, blah, etc. First few days saw few divers on the boat, which was great of course. Later in the week, the boat filled up, then the dive crew simply divvied up the divers into equal groups and sent each group off with a dive master. No one asked the experience level of the divers within each group. Problem was my group consisted of very inexperienced divers and several "love bird" couples who were busy holding hands rather than concentrating on having a fun, extended time and challenging dive. Basically I spent 15 minutes - wasting air - sitting on my "tuchus" 40 ft down at the anchor waiting and watching as several newly minted divers struggled to descend. When we finally started out to the wall, 20 minutes had passed and because many divers were new, they went through their air so quickly that ultimately we had 5 minutes on the wall then we turned back. Many of the "love bird" couples spent most of their time gazing into each others eyes as they meandered romantically toward the edge of the wall, yet never managed to get down along side of it. It was a very disappointing dive experience that could have been easily avoided with a little thought by the managing Dive master.

I fully understand the difference between the comfort level of an experienced diver and an inexperienced diver. I was once inexperienced too of course. They should never be pushed beyond their level of comfort for many reasons, safety being the most obvious. But I am a paying "tourist" too and I my vacation/dive time is short and therefore valuable. I travel to places like T & C for spectacular, challenging wall dives... not to be baby sitting beginners... that is for the paid staff. A simple analogy: You are an experienced snow skier. You save for your annual ski vacation to Aspen. You get on the lift to the top of the mountain with the best triple diamond ski runs. At the end of the lift, the ski instructor sends you back down the mountain on the bunny hill with a group of beginners.

The managing dive master should ask about the experience level and dive goals of the divers before separating them into groups. It would take a minute or two of extra planning but then the divers would be with the level with which they were most comfortable. Next time I will be more forthright about my experience level and what I want to see/accomplish on a dive. Perhaps a smaller boat with a smaller group would be the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom