Best dive operators and locations in Phuket for mid Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian42

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the best dive operators and locations for mid Dec?

Trying to find a good reasonably priced operator to do two or three days of diving. I'm finding the prices to be *way* more expensive than Bali and wondering why. All my dives in Bali were top notch but have heard Phuket is good too.

Thanks.

Hi Brian,

For 2 or 3 days of diving I would recommend the local divesites from Phuket. IMO much better diving at the moment than Similans, and Richelieu Rock is possible but really far for a short trip. The local sites offer good diving at the moment, are much closer and cheaper as well. Most of the trips are 3 tank dives, for prices for 3 days count on around 3,400-3,500 Baht per day, excluding equipment rental, including transfers, breakfast, lunch, drinking water, etc.

Prices vary only party because of supply/demand factors and assumptions about what the market can bear, but to a much greater extent due to the cost incurred by the boat operator to run trips (overhead). On Bali, a lot of the diving is near to shore, so the overhead for actually running boats is much, much lower than it is on Phuket where the dive sites are some distance away, meaning that fuel costs (one of the main cost items for our trips) are much, much higher. These costs are borne by the customer, ultimately, because the prices charged have to cover all costs.

For liveaboard diving starting from the Phuket region, there are a couple of two- and three- day options that offer good value for money. For daytrip diving, the most economical rates are for Phuket area local diving rather than daytrips to the Similans, which are a very long way away. If you are looking for the best deals, try to get trips with 3 dives a day since the price-per-dive ends up being significantly lower (the fuel overhead costs are pretty much the same for a given destination regardless of the number of dives offered). My personal favorite three-dive day is Shark Point/Anemone Reef/Koh Doc Mai. But it's not available every day. Another good three-tank trip goes to Phi Phi, and a third visits Racha Noi and Racha Yai. There are three-tank trips going to the King Cruiser wreck and two other sites as well.

Hope that helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom