Best DIN to Yoke Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard some DIN to Yoke Adapters are better (more compact?) than others. Trying to lessen the chance of bonking the back of my head. Any recommendations on specific models would be appreciated if there really is any difference out there?

the major differences I've seen are how they are made, the number of DIN threads and how compact they are.

Some of them come with 5 DIN threads and some come with 7 DIN threads. Obvisousely the 7 DIN threads are a little stronger and don't leave 2 exposed threads on your regulator. However, the 5 thread ones are still plenty strong enough to exceed the pressure rating of the yoke regardless.

APEKS makes a very nice 7 thread one. I actually bought the 7 thread Dive Rite one because it was about half the price, however, I've seen some Dive Rite ones that are 5 threads and some that are 7 threads.

I also noticed that some of the brands are exactly the same but just with someone elses logo on them.

Another small minor difference is that some come with the yoke dust caps and some don't. Typically this isn't an issue as you would use your DIN dust cap on your regulator. However, if you were on a liveaboard trip where you used the same yoke k-valve tank all week long,you typically would remove the regulator for the crew to refill the tank. Most people would like to have a dust cap on their regulator for the time period it was removed. (some it might not matter to...). But this isn't a big deal. You can buy replacement dust caps typically for under $5 bucks and put on your adapter.

I found the Zeagle ones are lower profile than the Scubapro ones, for the same number of threads.

I haven't used any other brands. Both the Zeagle and Scubapro ones are solid chunks of metal (robust). The Poseidon ones and some of the no-name ones look a bit flimsy to me (on paper or on the PC screen).

What makes one more 'correct' than another?

Uncle Pug:
A better way to go IMO is to purchase the correct converter for your particular regulator so you can switch it from DIN to yoke and vise versa.

This is what I thought. I'm interested in getting an Apeks DS4 yolk and buying a DIN converter to use when I dive doubles. My LDS (which are Apeks authorized) told me "Oh no, you have to buy a DIN to Yolk Adapter...only an Apeks authorized service technician can install a converter and that requires a torque wrench and is a one time deal".

I'm thinking, ***? I'm getting the DS4 off the gray market anyway.

Dave

I think the original poster is / was asking "After converting the first stage from yoke to DIN (or purchasing a DIN first stage), which screw-on DIN to yoke adapters are lower profile than others?".

I think DA Aquamaster has posted a few times on proper use of a torque wrench as well, for those who want to wrench on their first stages rather than leave the first stage in DIN configuration and then use a screw-on adapter when yoke configuration is needed for the tank valve.

Back
Top Bottom