Best daytrip dive boat in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowmouth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The last month or so I've been bombarded with both fax and email messages from Phuket's daytrip dive boat operators promoting their vessels and introducing their "green season" trip schedules.
Most of those operators also claim to have "the BEST boat" with "the BEST tour leader", "the BEST food" and "the BEST boat crew" just to name a few.

I think only one boat can be "the best" and therefor it would be really nice to know which boat REALLY is "the best" daytrip boat in Phuket nowadays.
It would also be nice to know why some boats are "better" than others and why "the best" is "THE "BEST"!

:D

Shall I cause a storm... OK.

I work for an agent. We don't have a boat. We offer a range of boats to suit the customers budget, preferred dive sites, preferred number of dives, preferred itinerary. Some people don't like agents. I often read advice on forums like "make sure you book with the operator and not a middle man"... BUT...

Every operator, as Bowmouth says, claims their boat is the best. They can't all be right.

I don't think there's really a BAD day trip boat, though most of them pack in too many guests in high season.

So anyway. What's the best day trip boat in Phuket? Offspray. That's based on a) long experience in Phuket, b) personal preference, c) what the boat offers (small group, a real day trip with a looong surface interval, picnic on the beach etc..) and d) customer feedback. And Offspray 2 is coming soon! Well done Giles and I wish there were more boats like it.

So anyway. What's the best day trip boat in Phuket? Offspray. That's based on a) long experience in Phuket, b) personal preference, c) what the boat offers (small group, a real day trip with a looong surface interval, picnic on the beach etc..) and d) customer feedback. And Offspray 2 is coming soon! Well done Giles and I wish there were more boats like it.

I've never dived off Offspray but now think I should. I like to have a long surface interval inbetween dives and to be on a boat that caters for small groups.
Do they offer Nitrox, are they ok with experienced divers solo-diving and do they provide breakfast?

I have a slightly different view -

I'm not a dive master, agent or employee of any dive company - I'm a customer!

After the first dive company I used sold its day boats to concentrate on liveaboards I tried several different companies and boats in Phuket booked both through agents and direct with the companies.

After several not so good ones (staff changes daily, not so good food, etc...) I finally settled with Sea Bees. [Excalibur II or Aragon]

This runs a little against what mostly happens in Phuket for day boats, as most nationalities seem to go (quite happily) with companies run by and staffed by people from their own region. Sea Bees is German owned, and I'm not German.

So why Sea Bees? After all it comes down to personal preference

I prefer to have a relaxed and comfortable day diving rather than zooming around in a speedboat (although I can see the attraction of the small boat if diving with a very experienced group of friends).

The facilities on the boat(s) are very good, and I can choose what I dive with.
· Huge dive deck, everyone can sit geared up even when boat is full.
· Showers on the dive platform AND enclosed showers (with soap!) on the dive deck
· Comfortable seating areas inside, outside under shade and mats on the sun deck
· The food is prepared fresh on the boat before the dives, and is consistently excellent.
· I can choose what size of tank to use and what’s inside. 8/12/15 litre tanks filled with air/nitrox, and I can even specify what nitrox mix.
· Good rinse tanks for equipment and cameras.
· The crew are good, but to be honest I have not been on a boat with a “bad” crew.
· The dive masters have been consistent over the years I’ve dived with them – that means they know me and what I like to see/not see. (Like this)

Everyone will have different needs and requirements for day boats, while I have found my favourite it’s probably best for everyone to try a few if they are going to visit Phuket more than once.

Last edited:
[ – that means they know me and what I like to see/not see. (Like this)[/FONT]

Finding Thecacera sp. nudi's at Racha Yai is indeed pretty special.
Yesterday a WHALESHARK was seen at "Homerun Reef" at Racha Yai believe it or not!

I work for an agent. We don't have a boat. We offer a range of boats to suit the customers budget, preferred dive sites, preferred number of dives, preferred itinerary. Some people don't like agents. I often read advice on forums like "make sure you book with the operator and not a middle man"... BUT...

Every operator, as Bowmouth says, claims their boat is the best. They can't all be right.

I don't think there's really a BAD day trip boat, though most of them pack in too many guests in high season.

Well said Batfish! I know we're the new boys in Ao nang, but the kind of service offered on Offspray is just the thing we are doing here and the divers love it!:D www.mantapoint-aonang.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom