Best Christmas Break Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJana

Reaction score
I am wanting to go somewhere to dive over the Christmas Holidays. I do want to go somewhere where the water is WARM and calm. I am a wimp when it comes to diving in cold water and have a tendency to get sea sick. My travel experience is limited. Also my ocean diving experience is limited to diving the Florida Keys. So I was hoping some fellow divers could help me out by giving me suggestions of what might be some good dive destination for late December.

Thanks,
Jana

Jana -

I would second the recommendation for Cozumel based on your statement.

Be aware, however, that most dive operators there shut down for New Year's day.

The water is warm (80 degrees around Christmas) and gin clear (normally over 100' vis) with little or no current and guaranteed warm weather (its never seen overnight temps lower than the upper 60s) and the longest winter days in the Caribbean (due to being far south at 12 degrees N).

The diving is the easiest in the Caribbean as most sites are shore dives that can be dived anywhere from 30' to 130' on the gently sloping reefs that begin about 50 yards off shore.

Apartments are available for around $50 per night plus tax and tanks are available for unlimited shore divings for about $100 per week, available for pick up 24/7. Pick up rentals run about $150 per week plus tax.

American flies there daily with a direct flight from DFW to San Juan, then picking up an A Eagle into Bonaire.

My fiancee and I are going over the Christmas holidays this year for our 4th time to Bonaire and love it more each time.

Thank you for your recommendations. I haven't decided for sure where I will go, but am looking forward to diving over the break.

Thanks again,
Jana

I would highly recommend one of the Great Lakes that time of the year.

It's cold and rough, true, but hey, you got to get used to it sometime.

Keeps you on your toes too.

Back
Top Bottom