• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Best cheap sausage / signaling device?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by troyce1, Mar 29, 2012.

1. troyce1

troyce1 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    What is the best inexpensive sauasge/ signaling device?

I dont have one, and need to pick one up.

Thanks

2. scubasam1212

scubasam1212 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    They are pretty generic. The cheapest route would be the 4' ones. they also come in 6' and larger. Some double as lift bags and are more expensive.

3. Randy43068

Randy43068 Orca

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    For open ocean get the biggest baddest bag you can get. There is a thread around here someplace where some of the boat people (LOL) tell us what color and kind they can best see when in the ocean.

For me, I carry a pretty big lift bag, once that can be seen.

4. Firefyter

Firefyter Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Hawkwood likes this.
  5. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Ummm. Exactly how much is it worth to have the boat crew see you? Cheap and signaling device don't really go together, IMHO.

mike_s, Jim Lapenta, Hawkwood and 2 others like this.
  6. Ulfhedinn

Ulfhedinn Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  7. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I use the DAN tube myself. But carry the HOG signal tubes. I have a 4.5 ft in stock now. It's ok for calm conditions but I recommend the 6ft. And as Wookie said, cheap and signal device do not go together. But it all depends on your definition of cheap. If cheap is $40 bucks or so ok. But if it's 20 bucks, nah.

Tfast78 likes this.
  8. danvolker

danvolker Dive Shop

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    My choice is SPORASUB 2009 WEBSITE bwf1.jpg

I have a weight on the bottom ( stability with long flag staff) and a towing harness for a reel to pull it....You do not want to attach to the nose, or it will plow....the pull needs to be about 1/3 of the way back...then, it flys on the surface with almost no pull at all. Can even be tossed off a boat going 25 mph, and does not pull hard then- try doing that with a normal float or smb ( indication of drag in the water while diving....)

If you want the boat to know where you arem why hide for 60 minutes before putting a float up--and then hope they look the right direction, and can see that far :)

9. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Feeling the Love ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Best+cheap= oxymoron:wink:

I use a Carter 6' in open water and a Halcyon 3' in lakes, shallow reef etc. As others have mentioned this is an important piece of safety gear so buy the best "quality" one you can afford. If diving open ocean get the biggest you can both afford and comfortably carry. I practice deploying mine fairly regularly from depth and also on the surface. No point having one if you can't use it , ditto leaving it on the boat. I always carry one of the two, sometimes both, on every dive I make. Good luck with your search.

10. go-scuba-dive

go-scuba-dive Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The DAN signal tubes are great. I'd get one that has an open bottom so you can inflate it using your alternate airsource. Don't bother with the ones that you have to inflate by blowing. Those are a waste of your money.

Tfast78 likes this.