best caribbean hotel for shore diving/snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peteetah

Registered
Reaction score
We are looking for a hotel where there is excellent shore diving and snorkeling, and we wouldn't have to go anywhere. We would get all our equipment on - site. Just want to lay on the beach, and dive and snorkel when we want, as well as see great coral, sponges, fish etc. I know I am asking for a lot in one place, but any suggestions?

Welcome to the board.

Based on your requirements I would suggest one of the AI's on Curacao. Lions Dive or Capt Don's would be good choices...If you were willing to leave the resort and travel around some, both for eating and diving I would suggest Bonaire. Personally, I can't stand to stay at one resort, I like to eat and dive at differnet spots.

Bonaire....Plaza Resort.

Fiesta Americana Cozumel. The reef may be bad right now, but there is good shore diving from this resort.

I second the motion for Bonaire, Divi Flamingo.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Most of the major resorts in Bonaire are great. A DM in Bonaire explained to how to find the best shore dives on the island. He said to go anywhere on the Island face the water and start walking. He was pretty much correct.

Amazingly enough, we found this at the Jalousie Plantation Resort in St. Lucia a couple of years ago. Nestled in a rain forest between the Piton mountains, it had a great reef right off the beach. We felt that the dive we did on this reef was the best dive of the week. The resort's dock sits right smack in the Soufriere Marine Management Area and the majority of boat dives were no more than 5-10 minutes.

The hotel recently changed hands, so I'm not sure of the status of the dive shop nowadays. Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia might be an option as well.

scubafreaky:
Fiesta Americana Cozumel. The reef may be bad right now, but there is good shore diving from this resort.

Scubafreaky, I just returned from Coz last week and unless they've done a monumental amount of work since then, the FA is closed and the beachfront is still a mess. We dived Las Palmas directly in front of the resort and it was in bad shape. My DM said that the snorkeling/diving spot in front of Dzul Ha was destroyed.

Truthfully, and there is no one who loves to dive Cozumel more than me, the best day of shore diving from FA doesn't even come close to Bonaire. However, Bonaire is really lacking in nice sandy beaches.

Roatan perhaps?

I second the Roatan suggestion having just done CocoView Resort. Great shore diving and snorkling.

Cozumel Fiesta Americana snorkling or diving right in front of the resort was pretty poor even before the huricanes too. Great place, but not for shore dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom