Best Caribbean Dive Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexk

New
Reaction score
Hello! I wondering where is the best scuba at Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, or Dominica?

I'll be at each for a day port-of-call on a cruise.

Thank you for any thoughts.

IIRC, the better Puerto Rican diving is not near where your cruise ship is likely to dock (San Juan). Many years ago on a cruise stop I did a 2-tank dive with Scuba Steve's (Superman's Flight and Fairyland) - enjoyed it. I've also done a rainforest hike there - very lush, but vegetation, not animal life (it exists; they cover the plantation bananas due to the monkey menace).

Never been to Dominica. Never dove St. Martin, which has some nice topside excursions (it doesn't seem to be a prime dive destination, but the trip reports I see look pretty good - not sure what's up with that). I rarely see anyone post about diving Antigua (though it's happened). Had 2 cruise stops at Barbados but never dove there.

Enjoy your cruise. I thought the waters of the Caribbean around Barbados and St. Martin were perhaps the most beautiful ocean waters I've ever seen.

1, St Lucia. Scuba Steve / Dive St Lucia will pick up at the cruise pier. Great dives south along the coast. My favorites are near Soufriere. I've done multiple visits, and will be back in Jan 2025.
2. Sint Maarten - Dive Sint Maarten has a shop within walking distance, or a short taxi ride from the pier. I've done multiple visits, and will be back in Jan 2025.
3. Antigua -- Antigua School of Scuba is a 15 minute taxi ride from the pier. One previous visit, not a common cruise stop. Definitely will enjoy being back in Jan 2025.
4. Barbados -- Barbados Blue has a shop at the Hilton. Multiple nearby wrecks. Visited twice, but again not a common cruise stop.
unrated - Dominica - haven't been there
5. Puerto Rico - The only dive operation close enough to the pier for a cruise excursion is Scuba Dogs at Escambron Marine Park. It's appropriate for Snorkeling or Discover classes. Shore dive only. I did enjoy going off by myself to check out the sea cliffs outside the bay, east of the hotel pier. It was a bucket list dive - been there, done that -- bought the dive shirt.

In Dominica, Bumpington tours can take you for a swim up their aqueduct to a cave-ish water fall (From the 2nd pirates movie). The snorkeling the champagne reef. Both are cool.

The Sea Turtle snorkeling in Barbado$ is awe$ome. Most snorkelers only last 15-20 min, because they're drunk lushes. Leaving you in the water swimming with 3 freindly-ish tagged turtles. Swim with them, don't pet, and they'll hang out longer. I was able to keep up with them, and witnessed them come up for air right next to me at least 4 times.

Back
Top Bottom