Best Camera for a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get one of the Canon GNx (N is a number) series and one strobe for starters, and decide if you need 2 strobes later. All Canon cameras in these series have cheap but good housings, decent optics and relatively large sensors. A camera like that will also be a good on-land travel camera. It's a nice compromise between a classic point-and-shoot and a DSLR. The competitor here is Sony with their RX100 series, but you'll (probably) have to spend more on the housing. Sony A6000 with their kit 16-50 lens is another option; and you can get a Meikon housing for this model for $154.29 at WalMart.

Here's my take from similar experience. We did a 1 week trip to Roatan and did a "try SCUBA" dive. Liked it enough to continue diving that week and got certified. Liked it in Roatan that the next year we planned 2 trip, 1 with the family (5 kids) and 1 with just the wife and I. We go back at least once a year now.

I like to take pictures top side and have had or have Canon G3 (1st digital camera), Olympus E-500 (SLR), Olympus XZ-1 (for when taking an SLR isn't a good option, like Disney), Olympus E-5 (500 went to one of the kids).

Decided that I wanted to take UW pictures for the 2 trips (trip #2 and #3). Went with the TG-4 and a Sea&Sea YS-03 kit (tray, arm, single strobe). I went this route because 1) like Olympus and I'm comfortable with their menu and the out of camera color etc; 2) can use the "Tough" aspect of the camera for snow sports (we snowboard/ski, snowshoe etc.) as well as snorkeling and paddleboarding/kayaking; 3) the package cost was decent in comparison to other options; 4) the package was not unwieldly for a new diver. I was very happy with my choice and the results of the camera.

Our DM's are huge on "no touching anything", so the first dive on returning I went with no camera to make sure I was still good with all of the other aspects of diving and that I had good enough control. The rest of the dives I took the camera. If anything, having the camera helped me work on my control because I became that much more aware of even the smallest movements. It made me think even more about my approach to get shots etc.

Since then (3-4 years, approx 100 dives) I have stopped using the tray/arm/single strobe and picked up a pair of Inon S2000's with a tray/arms kit from someone here on the boards. Even happier with these results. Takes a little more to handle, but I'm OK with it.

My eldest daughter is a 3rd year at the Cleveland Institute of Art, and she has a better eye then me for composition etc., but not so much the technical aspect of the camera (I'm an IT guy). She will be getting my TG-4 when I upgrade/replace. Part of me wants to stay with the TG series (I slow-flooded the TG-4 case in Bali at 65', but because the camera itself is waterproof it was fine; flooding was my mistake and rectified for all following dives), however the constraints that some of the others have mentioned are also having me looking at other compacts. I still don't know that I want to take a dSLR underwater yet, and may never, if I get the results I want for the shooting I like to do with a 1" sensor compact.

Also, my wife who is not a picture taker, she now has a GP in an Iota housing, with a light attached to it. Mainly for video set and forget, but also for taking pictures. I can attach it to the cold shoe on the Oly housing if I want to (video), but I've also used it myself as a primary for a long weekend trip where I didn't want to take my gear for 2-3 dives. The results were OK, but not a patch on the Oly.

So my recommendation is to talk to your DM and find out what they think about your control. Then if you're diving similar profiles to what you're already accustomed to, I would say the TG-6 and a tray/arm/strobe is a good option. The lack of controls is actually an OK thing as there's less you're thinking about. You can pretty much P&S it while still primarily focusing on your diving. Then as you become more comfortable with the diving you can focus more on the pictures. After a while you most likely will decide that you want more from your pictures than the Oly can do.

But if I'm honest, the pictures that Backscatter post that are taken with the TG series are still way better than mine, which tells me that it's still the person behind the camera that has to improve, not the equipment!!

I think the TG will serve you well and may even help you transition as a learning diver to a learning UW picture taking diver. Are there better compacts out there? Sure, but for a complete noob who is still learning to dive, you can't really go wrong with the TG series.

I was under the impression that it was a pretty good little item..... If I'm doing Truk and Bikini but if I want to take macro photos of stuff I can't even see, what camera do you recommend?

I bought the TG6 for macro. I'm a vacation diver so just want shots from my vacations and not trying to enter any photo competitions.
The TG6 for what it can do is fine. Macro and Super Macro are fine in both photo and video modes. Also good for shots from 2 or 3m away and you can use zoom to get close to critters without stressing them out.

This crab using full super macro to 100% natural sunlight at around 3m depth.
The octopus at 15m depth using video lights taken from around 2m away.

The video is 4k Super Macro on a night dive. Super Macro video is hard to get as slightest movement and the video moves a lot.

A VERY TINY HERMIT CRAB.jpg

OCTOPUS ON CORAL WALL.jpg

Welcome to an addictive, expensive hobby. Scuba and photography share the features that there can be a lot of expensive gear, you can always be learning new technique and they can both be very rewarding. Others have pointed out the dangers of excessive task-loading for divers with cameras. Here’s my two cents:
- some basic decisions: video or still photo; macro or wide angle; budget
- technique: buoyancy- stay off the bottom and the reef, and be able to orient yourself in close quarters. Good photos require you to get very close to your subject. And you need light. Experienced photographers have a constant focus light as well as dual strobes. You don’t necessarily need two strobes, but they increase your keeper rate.
- camera. Unless you are already experienced with it, don’t get an interchangeable lens DSLR or mirrorless system yet. ( My camera bag alone weighs close to 40 pounds.) Olympus and SONY among others have compact cameras that are great. Another camera system to consider is Sealife. GoPros are the most popular cameras for a reason: easy to use, good video, reasonable price.
- consider buying a second-hand system of camera and housing. These can be good deals and you will most likely know more about what your needs are as you get more experience.

In the olden times I used to lug around a Nikonos V in a big black pelican case with multiple lens, strobes, extension tubes, framers etc. I had infinite artistic control. At the end of the day or actually the start, you decide on what you are going to shoot and set the camera up accordingly. This gives you a limited range of functionality and you frame your shots within this range. Whale sharks only show up when you are running a macro rig, and the big stuff goes into hiding when you are set for wide. Modern SLRs are not quite as limited but still suffer from some of the same optimization limitations.
Your buddies will all eventually tire of swimming in circles while you fiddle your knobs and dials. You will eventually tire of carrying the rig all around with you, as well as the constant care and maintenance.

Currently I'm shooting a TG-5, my first dive with it the housing o-ring failed and it flooded, the camera was fine. The rest of the trip I only used it on dives where I was sure we would stay 45 feet or shallower. The thing fits in your pocket, and can take some really impressive photos even without additional strobes.
The two pictures below are from the same dive, camera only no housing.
PC260524~2.JPG
PC260545~2.JPG

All good comments and here's some more......

Olympus TG-6 (newest model) has some great enhancements. Being able to zoom through a wide angle attachment plus already stellar macro capability better than many larger Mirrorless or SLR ILC cameras ( ILC = interchangeable lens cameras.)

The Olympus TG6 camera being waterproof gives many piece of mind. The lightweight well made Olympus housing is really good for the price.

The only downsides to the Olympus camera and housing are the Olympus PT-59 and previous TG housings have one back o-ring.

The housings are made in the same factory as Fantasea housings for Canon and Sony compact cameras. But the Fantasea housings have DUAL o-rings.

A back BLACK lubricated one and a flat white FRONT face seal like a GoPro housing. This has proved to be fantastic. You can also get a model with Vacuum system to pre-test the housing is sealed for $100 extra.

The Canon G7X II and III and Sony RX100 IV / V / VA models have a larger 1" sensor compared to the Olympus TG-6.

The sensor being larger is able to gather more light especially helpful for wide angle shooting.

Canon G7X II and III have great macro capability built in too. The Sony RX100 series while being a bit more expensive for the camera have incredible AF (AutoFocus) plus incredible HD video.

Either the Canon or Sony compacts can be set up for easy shooting. Canon and Sony models have expanded shooting modes you might enjoy as you grow as a photographer.

Full disclosure, I lead dive trips and have been a Fantasea dealer and actual user of Fantasea housings for 4+ years and they've been fantastic for me and customers.

The Olympus PT-59 housing has been used by people on my trips and folks have good success with them, especially macro shooting.

I just think the DUAL o-rings of the Fantasea Canon and Sony housings is even better for just a bit more $$$$.

Just some more thoughts and ideas :)

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
IMG_8540.jpeg IMG_8325.jpeg IMG_9134.jpeg IMG_9245.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom