Best brand of gear to sell in dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only issue is that the LDS does not NEED to open an internet store to offer great prices. Think about it. The LDS is now incurring the services of a webmaster, purchasing server space monthy, paying added fees for processing credit cards on the internet, etc. This is a business cost above their other operating costs, and yet they can still manage to sell more cheaply. Doesn't add up. And yes, volume sales can bring costs down, but you have to GET there first. You don't just go buy 1000 tanks and wait for customers to show up.

Some manufacturers lock discounts. Like Scubapro locking to 10% max. In my opinion, this really hurts the LDS who carry them. If you want SP, you HAVE to go to the LDS, but although SP has good products, so do other people. They are not the dominant market force they once were. So rather than pay exhorbitant prices for their stuff, many people simply move on to other quality brands. I have a SP dealer less than a mile from me, and the only thing SP I would buy (and did) is Jetfins. They can keep the rest of that full-price gear.

LDS's need to be cautious in the gear they select so that they can be price competitive as well as carry good gear. Case in point. Cave Excursiions here in N. FL. Located in the middle of cave country. They cater to a specific crowd and their business is BRISK! They offer fair prices, package deals, they do customer appreciation days regularly, vendor demo days, etc. The shop is nothing special in terms of look, and it's mostly a Dive Rite place, but the customer loyalty has to be seen to be believed. the epitome of a solid LDS making it's mark on service rather than price.

Not that I would know anything about dive shops or anything, but I would strive to carry brands that have already a strong awarness in the dive community for performance and quality...dare I say more popular. Many shops carry lower quality brands because of the cost, but shortly the community will come to find that you carry "crap." (Though most rec divers couldnt tell the difference between breathing a Genesis Yokun to a Scubapro Xz57606 or whatever the new one is). Everyone knows a few brands that are just smaked all over the place and to the "yuppie new diver," will shortly become familiar with. Cressi, Scubapro, Sherwood, Zeagle, even Oceanic.

Sounds cruddy, but establishing a firm product line that is "high end" will sell better then "lesser quality brands"-----though we should know that these products all rely on the same basic physics to make them work.

PS. the Yukon breaths just fine....also offering a website with purchasing options is awsome. ANYWAY YOU CAN SERVE THE CUSTOMER IS GREAT. The cost. vs the outcome is worth it, you have to look at it as another form of advertising. Just my two cents....I was never a yuppie person getting into diving, but if I was this is what I would think.

Back
Top Bottom