Best boat and shore diving locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best way to shore dive Brac is to grab tanks from reef divers or scuba shack, and ask where the calm spot is. If it's calm, I'll go to any of the North east spots. Most have defined areas to park. My favorite is Spot Bay. Public beach on the south side is a fun dive and easy to swim too, plus there is a shower. The best thing to do is ask and you'll be directed to some awesome, safe diving. i wouldn't recommend some of the end of island dive sites when the surge is up, there can be some unpredictable currents. Especially coming through the cut . South east is more advanced as well, lots of surge and hard to get in and out. Been there and have some scars to show for it. Probably the best dive in Cayman , imho.

The dive boats cover from Scott's Dock to the south walls just past public beach. Scuba Shack seems to explore more, because they are not on an after boat schedule. Both are nice, but shore diving is more fun. I'll go out around 10, then later around 3. Come to think of it , I love Scott's dock for diving, that's my favorite Maybe I should move back to the Cayman forum. Cheers

Thanks, DiverSteve. I checked out that Facebook page briefly. From their 'About' section:
Quote"
  • Cayman Brac
  • Short Description
    We are a group of shore divers on Cayman Brac. We will post days, locations and times when we are diving. Our group is laid back easy going and fun. We welcome anyone who would like to join us. Feel free to add your pictures.
  • Long Description
    We have painted rocks through out the island same color as our dive flag, so come and check out the many shore diving sites Cayman Brac has to offer for shore divers.
  • Mission
    Sister Islands Tourism Association to publish a booklet with the shore diving sites with our painted rocks and names of each site soon to come. Red/White color rocks are in place now. Drive and look for them.
  • Phone
    Nina @345- 928-0507, Lorraine @345-927-8607
"Unquote

Sounds like a group that dives there; wonder how many live there? And where do they get their tanks?

I'd like to see that guide available via mail order, or as a downloadable e-book. Otherwise seems limited in usefulness for planning a trip.

Vincent:

What do they charge to grab tanks? Is there a consistently reliable supply? How does a Cayman Brac shore dive (let's say one of the easier ones) compare to a west coast Bonaire shore dive? In terms of swim out, iron shore or sand entry, surge, etc...?

Richard.

Best way to shore dive Brac is to grab tanks from reef divers or scuba shack, and ask where the calm spot is...

Thanks! How much do they charge (USD or CI?) for tanks and weights?

I pay 10 dollars US air, 12 for Nitrox. Tanks by the dozen. They set them out am at Scuba Shack, drop them off pm. There is no crime, so they can stay out. I believe CBRR is the same price. I use my own weights. I should check the CO, but both facilities have well maintained, state of the art fill compressors. The facebook page isn't too current. Just ask and dive. If you like company, there are always people diving around the wrecks. Cheers

Bonaire is easier. If it's windy, very little of Brac is calm. The wind wraps around both sides, with a little a bit of the Northwest protected.

Brac is more like the Northeast side of Bonaire. (except for the 20 foot pile of debris)
Some Brac sites have developed exit and entry. The others can be an obstacle course of jagged iron ore and carpets of urchins. Southeast Brac can have epic dives with plenty of sharks , the largest lobster in the world and current, but swells make for an unpredictable entry/exit. Ask the shop, they'll get you to a safe, fun spot. Brac really is a phenomenal spot to just explore, and have fun. Some of the best days are when the boats head to Little Cayman, priceless. Your own diving paradise. Cheers

You've already been to Roatan, but where there? Are you familiar with the shore diving at CocoView on Roatan?

Richard.
Richard - was at Anthony's Key. Really enjoyed the diving but not much for shore diving. Coco View does look great with the boat and 24 hr shore diving. That is on my wish list

Looking to do the Agressor in early October or early September. Any thoughts concerning the crossing to the little islands. Don't want to spend a week diving Grand

Thanks. JN

Back
Top Bottom