Best backup light for cave/wreck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghnouer:
Hi...I'd like to read some opinions. Halogen vs LED?

What do you think about Dive Rite Aduro Back-Up Light, Tec w/4-Watt Quartz-Halogen Bulb or 1 Watt LED ? Salvo? UK ? Anny sugestions?

Thanks...

Hi Ghnouer,

Our Diamond back up is a single 3 watt LED that is very bright, small and compact. It runs off of two 3 volt lithium batteries. It has 6 hour burn and is bright as some primaries. visit our website, www.mantaindustries.com

Thanks - Greg

Manta:
Hi Ghnouer,

Our Diamond back up is a single 3 watt LED that is very bright, small and compact. It runs off of two 3 volt lithium batteries. It has 6 hour burn and is bright as some primaries. visit our website, www.mantaindustries.com

Thanks - Greg

Can you say a little more about the batteries? Cost? How much burn time? How much charge is lost daily with non-use (i.e. how do these compare to NiMH batteries)? Why you chose these batteries over alkaline?

I'm not a caver (like wrecks a lot though), but my vote goes to a Heser Backup - 3W selected LED, runs on 3 regular C cell replaceable batteries. Excellent build quality, bright, long burn time (about 6 - 8 hours), beam is focused to about 4 degrees (as per manufacturer, and it IS really well focused), and the manufacturers (a small shop in Germany) are divers themselves and very friendly and helpful. Downside is that the Heser is not exactly cheap: it sells for about 160 - 170 EUROS or so (excluding shipping) if I'm not mistaken, but IMHO is worth it, because it is tough light, and even bright enough to use as a primary light for night dives or other occasions when bringing an HID would be overkill.

I have the Halcyon Scout LED and the Green Force LED. The Green force has slightly longer life and is much more compact because the energy density of its battery is pretty high. This is also a downside as the battery (a lithium cell) is expensive to replace and not readily available. The Halcyon uses C cells, lower energy density, but very predictable discharge and available everywhere for a relatively low cost. I like and carry both at all times when technical/cave/cavern/wreck diving.

Rainer:
Can you say a little more about the batteries? Cost? How much burn time? How much charge is lost daily with non-use (i.e. how do these compare to NiMH batteries)? Why you chose these batteries over alkaline?

The batteries are common 123A, the cost for replacement varies but on average you can pick up a 2 pack for around $6-8 dollars. We sell a box of 12 for $35 which is about $3 each. You will get 6 hours burn time; the nice thing is these batteries have a 10 year shelf life with no loss of power. They are non-rechargeable. The advantage over alkaline is the shelf life and power to size, our light is smaller than any of the C cell battery lights. The Diamond retails for $160.00

Manta:
The batteries are common 123A, the cost for replacement varies but on average you can pick up a 2 pack for around $6-8 dollars. We sell a box of 12 for $35 which is about $3 each. You will get 6 hours burn time; the nice thing is these batteries have a 10 year shelf life with no loss of power. They are non-rechargeable. The advantage over alkaline is the shelf life and power to size, our light is smaller than any of the C cell battery lights. The Diamond retails for $160.00

Thank you for your response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom