Best and worst experiences buying used DUIs on E-bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen a pretty varied selection of used DUI drysuits on E-bay and was looking for a DUI 350 in men's large(I've already tried on a large 350 at my LDS and it fits great). How has that worked for some of you that have picked up some "deals" on E-bay on DUIs?

Thanks!

I've been looking at the same thing. Same size too. I'm not set on just the DUI though. Unfortunately, I can't run to a LDS to try on different manufacturers models to see what size I need. And, I've seen some Medium's that go to 6' and 215 pounds, and some larges that are only 5'10, 180 pounds (by the Mfgr's chart). I'm trying to find someone who is about the same size as I am, and go from there. I've also seen some for sale from people who have very few favorable history, or none at all. That always makes me suspicious.

Another option is to go here: Factory rebuilt list at DUI - Diving Unlimited International. and buy close-outs, demos, pre-owned and returned suits directly from DUI. Based on your sizing being about average you might have pretty good luck, and you know it's gonna meet DUI standards with good product support.

Search out dive tank on ebay for some great prices. I have never bought from them so I can not speak from experience, just seen their prices.

I can say you get what you pay for. If you think a $200 suit is a good deal, then you will get a suit that needs $500 worth of work. Point being spend more money up front and get a new or used twice and less then a year old suit. FWIW Seals are easy to replace, but zippers are more time consuming and cost $149 if you do it yourself.

I bought mine and my wife's TLS350 via ScubaBoard. I have been very happy with both purchases. I got a screaming deal on my wife's suit. And mine is fine for what I paid - will it need a zipper and seals - yeah probably by the end of this year.

I just purchased a Flex 50/50 with Zip Seals and a pocket on ebay for $750, suit was manufactured in 2003, and while it looks to be a rental (that fact was not apparent) it cleaned up beautifully, seals and zipper look ok, and works well now that I've cleaned and waxed it, and fits me great (size M .. 5'8" - 180lbs - 39" chest - 34" waist -30" inseam)

My experience on ebay was either very lucky or whatever:D I got a TLS 350 Signature for $650. not only is the $ pretty good, the suit fit like it was made for me. See, I'm not you average sized person! I'm 6'5" and about 290.
The suit was advertised as 3xl with not pics. The suit came with kevlar knee pads, pockets on both sides and zip seals! So I was very pleased. It had the turbo boots installed when I got it, but they were just a tad small (I wear a sz 15), so off it went to DUI for sox and rockboots. I went that route cause I got such a good deal.

I'm not saying that they all will be that way, my best advice would be to check the sellers ratings. Ask any and all questions you have before hand.

Anyway, good luck.

I try to shop ebay for commodities (regulators, mask, etc), and craigslist for fitting items (wetsuits, drysuits). CL allows you to meet the seller, try-out the item, and leak test if a water source is available. my $.02

The hardest part shopping ebay for me is the awful pictures people post. The last TLS350 I was watching pictured a black suit hanging in front of a white door with terrble lighting, you could barely make-out the outline of the suit, let alone the quality. Sold for ~$350 when it might easily have been worth more. It's just so hard to tell the quality of the items when the seller claims no knowledge of drysuits and takes terrible pictures.

Last March I purchased a CLX450 Signature series. Pockets on both legs, neoprene collar. The suit is approx XL and fits me on the snug size with thermals (like a cave-cut), but no restriction. Included DUI 300wt undies, booties, hood and Rockboots. I paid $1000. The suit was in excellent condition, but it had been in storage for a while and seals were crazed. I have used the suit on 30+ dives since purchasing with those same seals. Yesterday the suit leaked and I traced it to a damaged zipper, most likley my error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom