Best alternate air for beginning wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gimpvirus

Registered
Reaction score
People bring up various threads on Pony/Stage bottles all the time but I was curious to what everyone thought was the best route to take as far as alternate air for recreational between 80 and 100 feet(wreck diving once I've completely the necessary training probably within the next month or so.) Nitrox/O2 provider certified and was planning to purchase probably a 30cu/ft.

What do you guys recommend for designating the tank, air or EAN?

I would go with a set of doubles, but they may be too heavy for some people.

1. Buddy
2. H valve
3. Pony

Realistically, at 100ft, youre still pretty safe as long as you have a buddy, no extra equipment neccesary.

If you're diving dry, double 72s are certainly worth a look. I like mine.

If you plan to get into staged decompression diving, that 30 will be handy as a deco bottle. Otherwise, it will be an orphan.

One of the advantages of a pony is you can put a mix that sets your PPO2 at 1.6 since you're headed up and out anytime you are on that bottle. In practice, that is a bit of a pain in the butt to set up for every dive. The difference in offgassing compared to air may not be worth it to you.

I use a 30cf pony slung like a stage. If I had to do this again, I would get a 40cf tank (to use as a stage.) The plan is to go to doubles and get rid of the 30cf.

Gimpvirus,

In response to your direct question;

(what is) the best route to take as far as alternate air for recreational between 80 and 100 feet?

recognize that (a) the answer is subjective and (b) you have a number of options.

First, there may be an issue with definitions...

IMO when "alternate air sources" are spoken of, a secondary 2nd stage off of a primary 1st stage is being discussed. And when "redundant air sources" are being spoken of, this means a separate, distinct air source with its own 1st and 2nd stage attached - entirely independent of the primary air source with its own 1st and 2nd stage attached. I'm not certain which item your question addressed.

Again IMO, if recreational diving using one single tank between depths of 80 and > 100 feet, the best route to take for an alternate air source is an additional 2nd stage which is identical to that which you're breathing off. Your 'alternate air source' should be around your neck on a bungee.

And, as both second stages draw off the same single tank, if recreational diving using one single tank between depths of 80 and > 100 feet, you additionally want a "redundant air source" which is independent of that single tank. IMO that requirement is best met with a 'bailout bottle' with its own independent regulator, that you carry with you slung as a deco tank. You should calculate your potential gas requirement in the event of an emergency at, say, 100' and purchase a bottle of the appropriate size. For many divers, this means a 19 cu ft bottle at a minimum, and for other divers who have experienced emergencies at these depths while recreational diving it means a 30 cu ft bottle.

Another option you have available is a set of doubles. They need not be huge. Sets of small steel tanks, such as 45s, 60s, or steel 72s, make nice rigs for deeper recreational diving.

Finally, for deep recreational diving IMO you are better off with EAN. Whether you choose to use air tables with the nitrox or nitrox tables is another issue, but you should seriously consider filling your tanks with nitrox.

My comments are based on my own experience only. YMMV.

Regards,

Doc

gimpvirus once bubbled...
People bring up various threads on Pony/Stage bottles all the time but I was curious to what everyone thought was the best route to take as far as alternate air for recreational between 80 and 100 feet(wreck diving once I've completely the necessary training probably within the next month or so.) Nitrox/O2 provider certified and was planning to purchase probably a 30cu/ft.

What do you guys recommend for designating the tank, air or EAN?
Are you looking for a "bail-out" bottle or something...

Frankly, I don't like ponys or bail-outs....you have a buddy. I think a pony with a single tank is 1- unstable, and 2 - it provides a flase sense of security b/c "hell, I've got the extra gas...I'll just rely on that"

If you're looking for more bottom time, you might consider going to doubles Nitrox....doubles provide full redundancy and plenty of gas.

Doc Intrepid once bubbled...
Gimpvirus,

Finally, for deep recreational diving IMO you are better off with EAN. Whether you choose to use air tables with the nitrox or nitrox tables is another issue, but you should seriously consider filling your tanks with nitrox.

Doc

I would echo Doc Intrepid's comments on redundancy, and support his statement about Nitrox.

If you are planning to poke about IN wrecks, redundancy and over-head environment training are the only way to survive on any long-term basis!

BJD

I would get some doubles and more experience with 80 - 100 ft dives. A staqe bottle throws a new distraction into the picture. When you do get a stage go prctice with it in a pool until it doesn't feel funny and if your bladder has bands, adjust them for the list.

IzzyTahil once bubbled...
I use a 30cf pony slung like a stage. If I had to do this again, I would get a 40cf tank (to use as a stage.) The plan is to go to doubles and get rid of the 30cf.

Eventually for tech you will want up to 3 aluminum 40s. Might as well start now, and get one.

You will probably find that 30s and 20s are a waste of space and money.

Eventually for tech you will want a set of twin tanks. But the depths of 80 to 100 ft do not really require doubles. Those are nitrox single tank dives. Unless you were to plan to turn those dives into deco dives, which you normally would not.

It therefore seems like the answer to your question is EAN32 in a 100 cu ft tank and EAN32 in a 40 cu ft stage bottle, if you want to be truly buddy independent and self sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom