Beryl and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickPeck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We leave on July 17th for Cozumel. Does anyone know what impact Beryl had on the island and the reefs?

Best Regards

We leave on July 17th for Cozumel. Does anyone know what impact Beryl had on the island and the reefs?

Best Regards
Minimal effects on the west (hotel) side and the reefs, I am pretty sure. The east side is what took the brunt of Beryl's wind and waves.

See the Tropical Depression 2 post right below this one. That was the early name for Beryl. In general, the effects on the island were really not that bad since the eye passed a little south of the south tip of the island fairly far from town. If you are staying at a resort in the far south near where the storm passed I was ask about them specifically, but in general most resorts and hotels are fine.

I haven’t dove since the storm , but I really wouldn’t worry too much about the reefs given the angle of the wind relative to the reefs , the fact that it wasn’t particularly strong when it came over Cozumel , and the fact that it passed very quickly (wind duration matters a whole lot, and this was a short duration storm)

See the Tropical Depression 2 post right below this one. That was the early name for Beryl. In general, the effects on the island were really not that bad since the eye passed a little south of the south tip of the island fairly far from town. If you are staying at a resort in the far south near where the storm passed I was ask about them specifically, but in general most resorts and hotels are fine.

I haven’t dove since the storm , but I really wouldn’t worry too much about the reefs given the angle of the wind relative to the reefs , the fact that it wasn’t particularly strong when it came over Cozumel , and the fact that it passed very quickly (wind duration matters a whole lot, and this was a short duration storm)
I am curious to hear how the east side beach clubs fared in the storm. We have been signing our Tshirt under the palapa at Coconuts every year for many years; it was already looking pretty bedraggled. It may be time to replace it.

FYI: Another sign the island is mostly back to normal: My friend that lost power in Beryl due to all the downed poles in the Secrets area south of town got power back on Sunday (about 48 hours after storm ). That likely would have been one of the last places to get power back since it is far from town and close to where the storm passed.

I am curious to hear how the east side beach clubs fared in the storm. We have been signing our Tshirt under the palapa at Coconuts every year for many years; it was already looking pretty bedraggled. It may be time to replace it.
I saw pictures of the eastside, Rastas was beat up but, they know how to quickly recover. There was actually more sand in the Playa Bonita area for the 1st time in a while.

I saw pictures of the eastside, Rastas was beat up but, they know how to quickly recover. There was actually more sand in the Playa Bonita area for the 1st time in a while.
Having enjoyed Beryl in two places, I suggest that Beryl for Cozumel was a "nothing burger". Galveston and Houston was another story. It all has to do with the eye wall. In Cozumel the eye wall was 60 miles south and even very strong there…basically was a non-event in Coz. Everybody in the Houston area got hit by the "MINOR" eye wall and 5 days later it still hurts.

Soooo…place your attentions on the eye wall of any hurricane.

DAVE DILLEHAY

I arrived on the 8th and started diving on the 9th. 9 dives in so far. Island seems to have minimal impact from the storm. Visibility is slightly worse than normal but still great compared to most places. Seen fewer sea turtles than normal. It might take a bit longer for sea life to return to completely normal but reef life is still good and active.

I arrived on the 8th and started diving on the 9th. 9 dives in so far. Island seems to have minimal impact from the storm. Visibility is slightly worse than normal but still great compared to most places. Seen fewer sea turtles than normal. It might take a bit longer for sea life to return to completely normal but reef life is still good and active.
We were there the two weeks prior to Beryl, and we didn't see many turtles then, either.

Back
Top Bottom