bering sea gold TV SHOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsunamimike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Made this thread so everyone can rave about how unsafe these guys are on the tv show, i personally do not see how discovery and air this show without an organization like OSHA or ADCI and anyone else concerned with diver safety jumping in and shutting some of these operations down.

NON certified divers admitting so on tv diving down 40 feet or so with normal gas air compressors no air filtering going on,
sometimes even only a 1 man operation with no body topside and no secondary air source
all sorts of engines running on the decks of there barges (compressor, Pump, other gas powered equipment) with no snorkel for the air intake to the divers compressor so possibility of sucking in exhaust

Maybe i'm a safety nut but i hope i'm not the only one who thinks this

despite all of this it is an interesting show to watch lol :idk:

I can't believe the Coast Gaurd allows the dredge that uses the back hoe to paddle through the water to operate!

Another "reality" show where there is more drama in the lives of the characters then there is actual looking for gold. That people put themselves in danger for money is not news nor any new revelation. I do however have to wonder where the local authorities are when I see some of the antics that are shown. In retrospect who issues permits for the operations? Again it's only a show and in my opinion is definitely better than Jersey Shore or the worthless Kardashian sluts!! One of the many reasons I don't subscribe to cable or satellite tv. If I have offended any one with my opinion,,,,,,, TOUGH, get over it.:D

A friend showed me that episode and I am not sure your breaking any rules for surface supply diving, and for that matter you do not need to be certified to scuba dive at all, just know the theory and and a few basic skills and your good to go. the instructions on how to dive came on the box of your aqua lung when they first came out.

also I am sure they are letting them find gold and waste there time and money, till they can find a proven way to do it, and why would the government stop it they need all the gold they can get.

...and why would the government stop it they need all the gold they can get.

They sure as heck haven't stopped mining for gold in my hip pocket.

I admit I was some of the crap on Discovery when I am hard up with nothing to do late at night. its hard to tell what is real and what is set up play acting. The remote location protects the idiots from most regulatory agencies as does the several months delay between filming and broadcasting. Similar safety issues on Gold Rush on the 1st season resulted in several of the featured mines being shut down this season for safety issues and I heard similar issues with OSHA catching up with the river diving idiots on Ax Men. I am guessing next season OSHA might pay them a visit.

The lack of safety practices (diving, boating and otherwise) is horrible. On the other hand, do you really want the government agencies crawling all over every small owner-operator and running them out of business? If I have to choose one of the 2 options, I would let them be adults, use common sense and let Darwin be the judge.

all good inputs guys.....and VooDooGasMan, as far as not breaking any rules for the surface supplied diving part you may be right, you dont need the certification you just need basic knowledge,
But the commercial dive school / SCUBA program that someone goes to and is taught diving is where they will learn there "Basic Knowledge"

the last episode that i caught it was one guy on a barge, His compressor was very unreliable (it got wet from water coming over the boat that sits 3 inches above the water) , it was right next to his pump motor ( Extreme risk of Co2 Poisoning), you might as well put a car on the barge and run a hose from the exhaust as the air supply to the diver, Oh and did i mention it was ONE GUY LOL, i'm sure we can all point out the dangers there with that

it makes you wonder though with the right surface supplied gear such as Comms and even Multiple Divers and multiple pumping machines, what the real commercial dive industry could Find.

Maybe i'll get a group of real Commercial divers together, Build a barge, Come up with a name ( already though of..... NOT A HOOPTY BARGE) , and go to alsaka lol

again all great replies guys

Back
Top Bottom