benzodiazepines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jut

Registered
Reaction score
hello,
Just really a quick question, I need to take another medical before im recertified to dive. Previously i was given the all clear while taking 600mg of carbamazepine but now i occasionally take temazepam. I'm just after a rough opinion to help stop me worrying about this medical
Does or has anyone taken temazpam before and are there any saftey issues centered around taking this drug say the night before a dive? i.e. pressure/drug reactions.
Thankyou guys
Jut

Couple of matters should be considered here. Possibly most important is the condition(s) for which these medications have been prescribed.

Carbamazepine is widely used in the treatment of seizure disorder, and some psychiatric conditions like bipolar disorder. Temazepam is a sedative often used in the treatment of sleep disturbance, and occasionally for the control of anxiety, symptoms that may be associated with a range of psychopathology. Of course, all of these diagnoses can have very significant implications for scuba.

As for the drugs themselves, both have a side effects profile that can include dizziness, drowsiness, unsteadiness/incoordination, and GI & visual complaints. When these drugs are given, the patient is to be warned about the possible dangers of driving, operating dangerous machinery or engaging in other activities requiring mental alertness and physical coordination after taking the drug.

As you can see, this is not a simple matter.

Your personal physician and the doctor performing the fitness-to-dive examination will be in the best position to advise you on the situation which you are facing. Being fully forthright and honest with them will get you the best results.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Please let us know what is decided.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

I'm in the clear, I have no history of suicidal attempts and my depression is kept under control. Im ok as long as i dont dive under the effects of temazepam or the withdrawl effects of it:)
Guess common sense just applys, i was really worryied of an increase in the chances of DCI etc....

I'm glad that there are no suicide issues in your mood disorder, but of course the implications of affective pathology for scuba extend far beyond just this one possible feature.

In any event, fitness-to-dive decisions relating to your disorder & its treatment are the province of your doctors.

As regards an increased risk of DCS related to an occasional, routine dose of temazepam for sleep the night prior diving, I see no reason to anticipate such.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Please let us know what is decided.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom