Benny ID assistance from SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanEyes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I could use some help identifying this colorful critter that I came across on consecutive dives last Wednesday and Thursday at the Blue Heron Bridge, Lake Worth Lagoon, Rivera Beach, Florida.

Upon initially spotting this fish on Wednesday, I thought that I’d found a Molly Miller, Scartella cristata, but when I looked at the images on screen, it did not appear to have a fringe of cirri on top of its head, and the coloration seemed too brilliant.

It could be a Barred Blenny, Hypleurochilus bermudensis, but as it didn’t leave its burrow while I was looking, I couldn’t tell wether it had the dark bars along its body from which it earns its common name.

Any suggestions or guidance as to what this may be?

Many thanks all.

Kulick-21-03-31-048.jpg

Seaweed Blenny. The cirri pattern is pretty distinctive (bunched with many branches) and they're very common in Florida. You've probably seen them before, but they have such a wide variety of patterns.

Sincere thanks to you @T.C. I’ve photographed literally hundreds of Seaweed Blennies, Parablennius marmoreus, over the past 30 years of living and diving here in south Florida. I cannot recall seeing a specimen with such distinctive orange spots, and was nurturing the hope that I’d come across something a bit less common. Unless I learn otherwise, I agree with your assessment, and will add the information to my file’s metadata. As Maxwell Smart often stated: “Missed it by that much.”

Agree. My first guess would be a seaweed. How big was it? If in a hidey hole on one of the supports, and is smaller, it may be an oyster blenny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom