Benefits of a boot on a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got my first tank for Christmas (Luxfer AL80) but it did not come with a boot.

What are the pros& cons of putting a boot on the tank ??

I got my first tank for Christmas (Luxfer AL80) but it did not come with a boot.

What are the pros& cons of putting a boot on the tank ??

I have steel tanks and the only benefit they provide is being able to stand them up because the bottom of the tank is round. AL 80s have a flat bottom so that wouldn't be a benefit. They can hide corrosion which is another detractor.
Someday I'll go to doubles and then my boots will become planters.:D

Ability to stand up and protection if you frequently dress up on a sharp rocky shore.

The only real advantage of boots on my aluminum's is that I use my tanks in pools for my students. The boots minimize the chance of damage to the pool tiles

Protects the gelcoat on your boat

Some boots have some flattened areas around the collar that tend to keep the tank from rolling when it is lying on its side.

In general unattended and unsecured (secured meaning bungeed, strapped, or in a compressor area or a dive operation's storage area) tanks are not supposed to be standing up anyway to prevent injury to people, the valves of the tank and other equipment should they topple.

Congratulations on the new tank. From your profile it doesn't appear that you are an instructor so from a regular diver/owner point of view I would recommend against anything that will trap salt and do damage to your tank. If you are only using it in freshwater, it's ok to use a boot. If you are using it in saltwater then don't even consider it.
We only use boots on our tanks going to the pool for training. Saltwater tanks never get boots.
I can send you photos of the "line corrosion" caused by boots on a saltwater tank. The salt clings in a vertical patteren around the circumference of the tank. The salt causes corrosion and pits in the tank's outer wall. This parallel line corrosion will cause your tank to fail a VIP inspection.
Remember the resonsibility that goes along with a new tank. Keep your VIP up to date and don't run the tank dry.
When you do your VIP's look for a dealer that does the +3 inspections. This is the latest eddy current testing system that will actually give you a printout of your tank threads and will document any cracks or damage. It's superior to just a magnyfying mirror and light method and actually backs up the strictly visual inspection.
If you decide to add a boot, some of them have flat spots along the side to theoretically prevent rolling. Don't get complacent, never rely on the boot to prevent rolling, they will roll. Always secure your tank whenever it's being transported.
Larry

Steve don't buy one, I have a few spares. I can give you one .

See you in the spring,
Jim

Steve don't buy one, I have a few spares. I can give you one .

See you in the spring,
Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm looking forward to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom