Bend,DCS/DCI from diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean eve

Reaction score
Hi Dr.Deco:
I've couple of question to ask you concerning about DCS/DCI.
1.As I'd posted my question few days ago,I worked as a pearl farm diver,most of the time we had to pull down a float(15kg buoyancy down to 10m-20m) with a rope.Because of this kind of work,many diver complaining pain in their elbow after few years time.Is this 'bend'?Is there any scientific proof about this?Will we get bend more easily if we do 'vigorous' work while we dive exspecially in our joint even if we decompress??
2.We all know that it's very bad if we do some exercise after diving.Does it has any measurement to know what kind of exercise can we do and can't??For example like based on our heartbeat....
I'm posting this question is because most of the time right away after we had finish diving,we had to do some work on board(sometimes can be consider quite heavy)like carrying oyster basket(about 5-10kg each),pulling the rope(quite heavy also)and etc....Most of our dive was not deep,usually in between 12m-21m.But all the dive(using normal air) is decompressed dive and it is quite long,sometimes we dive until it's limit(For example,we'd dove to 21m for 180 min and decompressed for 120min based on the table).See attachment of the dive table we're using.It is quite conservative,and only allow two dives per day to minimize accidents and DCS/DCI.May I know if I can get DCS/DCI or maybe in the future based on this kind of dive profile?Is there any side effect?I mean if after the dive I work;the diving time is long(not leisure but working)and it's decompress dive.
3.Last year,I went to Taiwan for recompressed in the recompressed chamber,of course it is not because of I'd an accident!It is just for my health.The doctor said like this kind of diving profile,he suggested me to decompress in the decompress chamber at least once a year(if I can).From what he told me is that every dive I made and eventhough after decompress,the micro nuclei or nitrogen will not goes off totally in my body.Day by day it accumulate and I'll get DCS/DCI one day.What's your view upon this?
Hope you and somebody on board can answer all my question.
Thanks!
*Is it possible to get the military dive tables?How?

Jean eve:
we had to pull down a float(15kg buoyancy down to 10m-20m) with a rope.Because of this kind of work,many diver complaining pain in their elbow after few years time.Is this 'bend'?

Is there any scientific proof about this?

Will we get bend more easily if we do 'vigorous' work while we dive exspecially in our joint even if we decompress??

2.We all know that it's very bad if we do some exercise after diving.Does it has any measurement to know what kind of exercise can we do and can't??For example like based on our heartbeat....

But all the dive(using normal air) is decompressed dive and it is quite long,sometimes we dive until it's limit(For example,we'd dove to 21m for 180 min and decompressed for 120min based on the table).See attachment of the dive table we're using.It is quite conservative,and only allow two dives per day to minimize accidents and DCS/DCI.May I know if I can get DCS/DCI or maybe in the future based on this kind of dive profile?Is there any side effect?I mean if after the dive I work;the diving time is long(not leisure but working)and it's decompress dive.

3.Last year,I went to Taiwan for recompressed in the recompressed chamber,of course it is not because of I'd an accident!It is just for my health.The doctor said like this kind of diving profile,he suggested me to decompress in the decompress chamber at least once a year(if I can).From what he told me is that every dive I made and eventhough after decompress,the micro nuclei or nitrogen will not goes off totally in my body.Day by day it accumulate and I'll get DCS/DCI one day.What's your view upon this?
Hope you and somebody on board can answer all my question.
Thanks!

*Is it possible to get the military dive tables?How?

Damn Jean Eve, that is a couple questions!

After a few years of pulling the rope elbows begin to hurt down sounds more like a connective tissue inflamation or injury.

Scientific proof, well you need to look at all the factors, does the pain begin on the bottom, is it always present, is it agitated by movement or contact?

Yes, if your working really hard during a dive you are at a greater risk for DCS, you have a higher breathing rate and the tissues of the body are demanding an increased amount of blod flow... You ongas more than if you would have been sedetary for the duration of the dive.

Regardless of the tables your using you are at risk for DCS, every diver is...

Interesting comments from the DMO, how much was that chamber ride $$? I would not bank on an annual decompression doing to much for you...

Navy tbales / dive manual:
Complete manual - http://www.vnh.org/DivingManual/DMTOC.html

Manual in thirds - http://www.scubatoys.com/navy/navyindex.htm

By chapter - http://www.starfighter.org/scuba/usn/

Originally posted by rmediver2002
After a few years of pulling the rope elbows begin to hurt down sounds more like a connective tissue inflamation or injury.

For the pain in the elbow,I don't think it is connective tissue inflamation or injury.If it is that, why we can get it?Let say we do the same work on the land,I don't think that we'll have the pain in the elbow even after many years.If not I think most of the weight lifter or body builder will have pain every where moreover they lift more heavier weight!(I'd do weight lifting for several years and haven't experience pain in my joint!).
The pain started when we pull down the float.Sometimes it can stay for several days to weeks after we finish the dive.But if we don't dive for weeks or months(depand)the pain will slowly goes off.
About the $$ I paid for,it's about US600 per treatment.If it is over here(Tahiti,French polynesia)it cost more than thousand!Only if you have accidents then it is exceptional(free!!!).The chamber in Taiwan is open for public treatment and belongs to the navy.The only problem is,the chamber is in Taiwan.Means I've to pay the air ticket(quite expensive)

Regardless of the tables your using you are at risk for DCS, every diver is...
Can I avoid this?(DCS)

Jean eve:
For the pain in the elbow,I don't think it is connective tissue inflamation or injury.If it is that, why we can get it?Let say we do the same work on the land,I don't think that we'll have the pain in the elbow even after many years.If not I think most of the weight lifter or body builder will have pain every where moreover they lift more heavier weight!(I'd do weight lifting for several years and haven't experience pain in my joint!).
The pain started when we pull down the float.Sometimes it can stay for several days to weeks after we finish the dive.But if we don't dive for weeks or months(depand)the pain will slowly goes off.
About the $$ I paid for,it's about US600 per treatment.If it is over here(Tahiti,French polynesia)it cost more than thousand!Only if you have accidents then it is exceptional(free!!!).The chamber in Taiwan is open for public treatment and belongs to the navy.The only problem is,the chamber is in Taiwan.Means I've to pay the air ticket(quite expensive)

Can I avoid this?(DCS)

That does sound more like DCS, the pain slowly going away over time...

As far as DCS avoidance, stay in good shape physically, stay hydrated (especially for the longer dives), you may want to look into using a different gas for you decompression if it is easy to secure.

Even with all the precautions there is still some risk for DCS, you can minimize it but not eliminate it.

How about DR.Deco?What is your view for this?Would like to hear more!Thanks
Thanks rmediver2002 for all the information you'd provided. :wink:

1. As I'd posted my question few days ago, I worked as a pearl farm diver, most of the time we had to pull down a float (15kg buoyancy down to 10m-20m) with a rope. Because of this kind of work, many divers complaining pain in their elbow after few years time. Is this 'bend’? Is there any scientific proof about this? Will we get bend more easily if we do 'vigorous' work while we dive especially in our joint even if we decompress??

Because there is considerable work involved, the gas loading in that arm could increase and the concentration of micronuclei could also increase. We have scientific evidence that activities such as lifting weights in one arm will increase the incidence of bends in that arm. This is a scientific fact. The decompression much be increased and this can only be worked out by trial and error.

2. We all know that it's very bad if we do some exercise after diving. Does it has any measurement to know what kind of exercise can we do and can’t? What kind of 'vigorous' is consider 'vigorous’? For example like based on our heartbeat.... also heard that one have to watch out after diving like:
1. Try not to climb ladders with your full gear,
2. Watch about straining movements,
3. Do not lift heavy objects such as tanks,
4. Move around somewhat following each dive (but not strenuous activity)

I would say that vigorous exercise is equivalent to lifting a 10 kg weight twice a minute. This is enough to increase the blood flow and the nuclei concentration based on our research. The other topics you listed are also best avoided as much as possible.

I'm posting this question is because most of the time right away after we had finished diving, we had to do some work on board (sometimes can be consider quite heavy) like carrying oyster basket (about 5-10 kg each), pulling the rope (quite heavy also) and etc....Most of our dive was not deep, usually in between 12m-21m. But all the dive (using normal air) is decompressed dive and it is quite long, sometimes we dive until its limit (For example, we’d dove to 21m for 180 min and decompressed for 120 min based on the table). May I know if I can get DCS/DCI or maybe in the future based on this kind of dive profile? Is there any side effect? I mean if after the dive I work; the diving time is long (not leisure but working) and it's decompression dive.

I would certainly think that this activity level would increase the risk of DCS in many divers. While some may be resistant to DCS, many divers will find that this work will increase their chances of problems of DCS.

3. Last year, I went to Taiwan for recompressed in the recompressed chamber, of course it is not because of I'd an accident! It is just for my health. The doctor said like this kind of diving profile, he suggested me to decompress in the decompress chamber at least once a year (if I can).From what he told me is that every dive I made and even though after decompress, the micro nuclei or nitrogen will not goes off totally in my body. Day by day it accumulate and I'll get DCS/DCI one day. What’s your view upon this?

The nitrogen and bubbles will NOT accumulate in your body so that you need to make a chamber recompression once a year. When they do accumulate, it is for several days in a row, and then a DCS problem occurs. This, of course, occurs when the decompression is insufficient for the type of dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom