Belize's wonderland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM has you stop at about 20 ft for 15min makes it a deco stop, which makes it a deco dive.

That may be true, but the DM didn't stop anybody during the ascent. We made a diagonal ascent from 130 up to the sandy ledge at around 30 feet. Most of us hung around there poking around the coral because we had plenty of air left.

I don't disagree that the Blue Hole is an advanced dive. Quite the opposite. But to be fair, it isn't a deco dive if you limit your time at 130 to eight minutes.

-Charles

You can go into deco at 60 ft if you had enough air to stay down long enough. It is not just about the depth. There is a reason why you dive either the tables or a computer, and a responsible diver should dive within his/her certification and experience level. If you computer goes into deco, then it is a deco dive. The computer is calibrated to determine how long a diver can stay down at what depth, and I trust my computer over any divemaster.

I feel like everyone is trying to mask the risks associated with diving the blue hole. The padi tables say your total bottom time at 130 ft is five minutes, and our dive master had the group down eight minutes. I can not tell how much bottom time I would have on my computer because I chose not to dive the blue hole. Again, I am not certified in deco diving.

On top of that, if a diver goes into deco they should refrain from diving for the rest of the day. Everyone on our boat did two additional dives after the blue hole.

I feel like everyone is trying to mask the risks associated with diving the blue hole

I'm not - I spend a lot of time discouraging unsuitable divers from going there, even though that costs me money. I feel strongly that people should not go way beyond their experience level in this way.

I'm not - I spend a lot of time discouraging unsuitable divers from going there, even though that costs me money. I feel strongly that people should not go way beyond their experience level in this way.

I am not attacking the dive shops per say, and I am definately not attacking you or your operation. It sounds like your one of the resposible ones out there and I am estactic about that. I did not dive with you.

Mostly I am upset at divers. Divers who dive beyond there skill level and certification. This is what causes accidents. I am upset at divers who dismiss the skill level required to dive places such as the blue hole. I know of a few extremely advanced dives that divers who are not qualified to dive, dive. Mostly I am upset because a diver says the blue hole is not a deco dive, but if a dive computer goes into deco, it is a deco dive. Unless you are certified for deco diving, then you should NEVER let your computer go into deco...period!

Someone is going to get hurt or worse at the blue hole if divers and dive operations do not start changing who they let go dive this place. Again, it is at the very least an advance dive. Only advanced open water certified divers should be allowed to dive. Open water certified divers are only certified to dive to 60ft...not 130 ft. No one should be going deeper than 130ft.

I spoke my mind and I sure it is not going to be popular. Honestly, I don't care. Divers need to be more resposible and stay within there cert level/skill set.

I'd actually go beyond what you've just said. If the qualification means anything (and that is a leading question) the dive should only be attempted by (in PADI terms) current divers holding the deep specialty. Even so the dive is still deeper, as the Deep specialty takes you to 130ft, and the shelf people dive to reach or at least to see is at 150ft.

I was once a "passenger" on a BH dive run by another dive operation, on which I noted that many of the divers were using rental equipment that didn't have a depth gauge, and even the lead divemaster had only a depth gauge and not a computer. I was wearing two computers and both went fairly well into deco, maxing at 8 minutes before we started to ascend. One of my computers had cleared when everyone was already back on the boat but the other (a Suunto!!) hadn't, so I decided to bend it in the interests of harmony. It was beeping loudly when I climbed the ladder, and the captain took me to one side to tell me that I was setting a bad example to the other divers. My reply was that the whole dive as conducted was a bad example to all the divers, and all my computer was doing was telling them what they should have known anyway but the crew had omitted to tell them. Or something to that effect! Especially remembering that some divers, all of who had dived the same profile as I had, had been back on deck for 10 minutes when I boarded. Isn't ignorance bliss!

As to accidents, there have been deaths in the BH on these "standard recreational dives". Not recently so far as I know, but certainly in the last few years.

My view is that there's no excuse taking people on a dive they are so unsuited for that they don't even understand the issues they face or know the dangers.

I'd actually go beyond what you've just said. If the qualification means anything (and that is a leading question) the dive should only be attempted by (in PADI terms) current divers holding the deep specialty. Even so the dive is still deeper, as the Deep specialty takes you to 130ft, and the shelf people dive to reach or at least to see is at 150ft.

I was once a "passenger" on a BH dive run by another dive operation, on which I noted that many of the divers were using rental equipment that didn't have a depth gauge, and even the lead divemaster had only a depth gauge and not a computer. I was wearing two computers and both went fairly well into deco, maxing at 8 minutes before we started to ascend. One of my computers had cleared when everyone was already back on the boat but the other (a Suunto!!) hadn't, so I decided to bend it in the interests of harmony. It was beeping loudly when I climbed the ladder, and the captain took me to one side to tell me that I was setting a bad example to the other divers. My reply was that the whole dive as conducted was a bad example to all the divers, and all my computer was doing was telling them what they should have known anyway but the crew had omitted to tell them. Or something to that effect! Especially remembering that some divers, all of who had dived the same profile as I had, had been back on deck for 10 minutes when I boarded. Isn't ignorance bliss!

As to accidents, there have been deaths in the BH on these "standard recreational dives". Not recently so far as I know, but certainly in the last few years.

My view is that there's no excuse taking people on a dive they are so unsuited for that they don't even understand the issues they face or know the dangers.

Thank you so much for this reply. I am relieved that someone out there is responsible, even when the paid customers are not. I now wish I would have done the blue hole with you. Maybe, my experience would have been different!

Your story is one every diver should pay attention to. Sometimes being safe and smart, is not always popular. You were a leader and set the example. Bravo!

Thanks for the review! We are planning to go to Belize next year, so this will be very helpful!

Hi Adriaan
If you are used to diving in British waters then you will be one of those suitable to dive into the BH, especially if you do some "run-up" dives first.

Great trip report!
Reading your report brings back wonderful memories of San Pedro.

I am quite suprised to hear of your experience with Amigos Del Mar.
I dove the Blue Hole with them last year and my experience was quite different.
I was impressed with our divemasters attention to safety. He really stressed staying within no-deco limits and watched over us quite attentively during the dive.
My dive was cut a bit short as I got a bit narced and the divemaster sent me up to 40'
after only 4 minutes.

I do commend your decision to skip a dive that did not meet your safety expectations.

Also, the Aquarium is still my favorite dive to date.

The recreational depth limit for both open water and advanced open water is the same (130 ft). Neither the AOW or deep certifications mean absolutely anything, other than a way for the dive organizations to charge money along the path to getting DM certifications, etc...

Back
Top Bottom