Belizean shores/ Scuba-belize question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

It's been a while since I have been on the forums. Been busy with the family stuff. My youngest is on a traveling softball team, if you know anything about travel ball it's a time killer.

Anyway, some friends and I are going to Ambergris caye this coming Oct. we were originally booked with Gaz's place and his dive crew but it has since been bought out and all reservations moved to other locations, we ended up at the Belizean Shores which looks like a nice place. From the little info I have on the place, it appears they have their own dive shop. Scuba-belize. Does anybody have any info on this shop? Are they good? Good DM's? Good boats? Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the assistance
Scott

Scott,

We stayed at Belizean Shores back in June of this year. Very nice rooms (ours was downstairs, unit 6 I think). Nice bedroom, living room, kitchen! The housekeeping staff even cleaned our dishes.

The pool is also incredible. I can't remember the bartender's name, but he got a kick out of our learning the local two-fingered wave. You'll know what I mean when you get there and all the dive boat operators wave at eachother with two fingers held over their head! He makes GREAT Pina Coladas.

The resort is a little North of most of the action, but I think you won't be disappointed. I'm told the stuffed grouper is very good at the restaraunt. Food is expensive in all the restaraunts, so bring some staples if you want to save money. Coffee, sweets, snacks, bagels, etc. Rent a bike and ride into town along the beach sometime. We figured this out late in our trip, and had fun exploring.

I'd HIGHLY recommend Ecologic Divers or ProTech (PeterBJ, the owner, frequents this board).

PM me if you want pics!

Doug

Doug,

The resort did look pretty nice from the web site but I have learned to not completely trust web sites. Regarding the diving, when we were switched from Playa Blanca it was a package that came with the Resort so we did not really get a choice on the dive shop. Thanks for the report, good info. I will PM you for those pics. Would love to see them.

Take Care
Scott

Scott,

My wife and I own a unit at Belizean Shores, and while we are admittedly bias, I honestly believe you will not be disappointed with this resort, the staff is very friendly, and the units are super clean. We bought here because it is one of the best resorts on the Island. That being said since this resort is north of town there is not much action at the resort, in fact it's pretty laid back, but that's the way we like it. Here are our observances for what they're worth:

1. The restaurant at the resort is pretty good but the service can be kind of slow.
2. There are other good restaurants a short walk down the beach. Calientes - cheap and good, Captain Morgan’s - Moderate and pretty good, Capricorns - expensive and not so good. There is also a convenience store at Captain Morgan’s.
3. Oct is also slow season, so the Dive Shop will most likely assign you to another dive operator. If you are the only ones on the boat they will treat you right and take you where you want. But ask them if they are going to assign you to another operator, if they are ask them to book you with either Amigos Del Mar or ProTech. I prefer Amigos, I think they treat you a little better and are really good guys.
4. If you get a chance, go to Turniffe or Lighthouse reef for a dive. The boat ride is long but the dives are spectacular. The Blue hole is overrated but kind of good to check off the "to do" list.
3. Oct will be bug season, so bring the bug spray, especially at dinner.
4. We usually rent a golf cart one day and ride into town (don't do this if it has rained in the last 3 days!). In town you will find a couple of supermarkets to stock up on food, they are cheaper than the convenience store at Captain Morgan’s.

Lastly, enjoy your trip. If you have any other questions, let me know and I will answer them as best as I can.

Boomer,

Thank you for the reply. Great write up. I will pass all that by the group. I've heard good things about the dive shops you have mentioned from reading the reports her on scubaboard so I would be very comfortable with either. Maybe the shop will be slow like you suggest and they will move us over. Either way I'm sure we will be fine.

Thanks again
Scott

Scott
Check to see who the dive center they have booked you with. It could be the fellow who rents BS's dock. Also you might want to ask who they are certified with PADI, NAUI, SSI. or are they just a instructor with a boat.
You can check the PADI website to see the approved dive centers.
If you ask the resort to use a different dive center most likely they will, as they get a commission either way.
i too reccomend Amigos or ecologic

ecosvl,

Thank you for the reply. I wil send them an e-mail and see what they say. I'm sure it will fine either way but it would be nice to be a highly recommended shop.

Take Care
Scott

ScottM-

I have used Amigos del Mar and was pleased with their service. However, I stayed at the Mayan Princess which is very close to Amigos. I am not familiar with the place you are staying but it sounds like it is a fair distance up the beach from Amigos. You may want check and make sure they will pick you up on your dock.

By the way, hope you enjoy your Belize trip as much as I did.

Art

Art,

Thank you
Scott

Scott M,

Don't know much about the resort(s) mentioned but i've been staying with a mate of mine on Ambergris Caye and diving with Aqua Dives. Great set up, friendly, helpful good boats and they organise fantastic trips to Turneffe Atoll and The (world famous) Blue Hole.
One of their DM's has 13 years exp. diving off A. Caye!
They do have a Hotel - Aqua Marina Suites which is pretty much central to all thats going on in San Pedro.
As I always say though dive where you feel comfortable.

Regards

Andy

Back
Top Bottom