Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your honesty, but sadly I have already made the airline reservations. So now I just need to find a really nice place to stay to make up for beach :wink:

I have not heard back from Ramon's, and in my last post I am trying to decide basically between Victoria House and Xanadu - unless there is something else ....

I get why people think Ramon's is a bit hyped, but honestly I think its the cleanest facility of the ones I saw. You could even try to get diving included as I think they have a 2 tank daily with a one day blue hole package. I Loved the Blue Water Grill (Its where I had my anniversary dinner),Capricorn was a close second, Hidden Treasure, Aji, were all very good and there are a ton of quicket lunch places, Melt was really good. The golf cart is not cheap you rent it for the week, from your hotel, or from an independent. We took Maya Tropic Air to the island, and the ferry back, I would highly recommend doing the prop plane over the ferry

I get why people think Ramon's is a bit hyped, but honestly I think its the cleanest facility of the ones I saw. You could even try to get diving included as I think they have a 2 tank daily with a one day blue hole package. I Loved the Blue Water Grill (Its where I had my anniversary dinner),Capricorn was a close second, Hidden Treasure, Aji, were all very good and there are a ton of quicket lunch places, Melt was really good. The golf cart is not cheap you rent it for the week, from your hotel, or from an independent. We took Maya Tropic Air to the island, and the ferry back, I would highly recommend doing the prop plane over the ferry

I go to San Pedro a few times a year. Our new favorite place to stay is Isla Bonita Yacht Club. It is the perfect location. Easy walk to town, but far enough away to be quiet. Great staff and comfortable rooms. The grounds are beautiful. I walk about 10 minutes up the beach to dive with Island Divers every morning. Island Divers seems to be the right balance between fun and safe. You will become like family to them. There is no on property restaurant at the Yacht Club, but there are many within a 10 minute walk or 5$ taxi ride.

I'm torn. Victoria House is beautiful. Yiu should have an ocean view but you won't be walking right out to it, as you said. But you will be walking out onto the beautigul grounds facing the ocean. It's just lovely.

the Palms is right on the shore but if you aren't on the main level, you will enter and exit around back by the pool but as soon as you round the front of the building, you're in the sand. Be careful that you don't end up with the cabana unit in the back by the pool. It is separate from the rest of the building and you want the ocean in front of you.

I just love Xanadu, the rooms are very nice, but they don't all have an ocean view. To me Xanadu seems to merge the jungle with the sea. Perhaps that's why I'm so taken with it.

Ramon's has more rooms that don't have an ocean view than those that do. If you aren't guaranteed on the beach at water's edge with a view, you could end up in a small room back in the "garden" area, closer to the road than water.

Last edited:
After really researching all these resorts and the actual rooms that I can rent for that week, we have decided on Ramon's. We booked the beachfront suite directly on the beach. It really was a hard decision with the rest of the resorts, but it came down to actually being right on the beach with that view everyday. And my husband liked the fact it was the diving resort so he could set up his dives directly. We are very excited about the week, hoping for good weather, less sargassum, and we are in the Caribbean, not Minnesota, so its all good. Now if anybody has recommendations on good restaurants in San Pedro, we love to experience the local culture. And any advice on diving, snorkeling, etc. thanks again for your help for newbies to Belize

After really researching all these resorts and the actual rooms that I can rent for that week, we have decided on Ramon's. We booked the beachfront suite directly on the beach. It really was a hard decision with the rest of the resorts, but it came down to actually being right on the beach with that view everyday. And my husband liked the fact it was the diving resort so he could set up his dives directly. We are very excited about the week, hoping for good weather, less sargassum, and we are in the Caribbean, not Minnesota, so its all good. Now if anybody has recommendations on good restaurants in San Pedro, we love to experience the local culture. And any advice on diving, snorkeling, etc. thanks again for your help for newbies to Belize

I think you'll be pleased with Ramon's, and don't let the three hour each way boat ride scare you off the outer Atoll trips, the diving out there was fabulous (blue hole interesting, but half moon Caye, and aquarium were outstanding! The local dive site "tackle box" was my fave on ambergris, great swim through at about 80ft. As for restaurants, I mentioned some of the nicer restaurants above, there are also fruit and juice stands all over, a guy that will barbecue just about anything on the main drag just south of town, as well as lots of little hole in the walls , pupusa's were good, and we tried just about every places cerviche which is great all over the island

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom