Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gina&peter

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to Belize end of October for our 38th anniversary. My husband wants to dive the blue hole. I have been looking at all the resorts in San Pedro and would like any input for the best place to stay ? thank you

We stayed at Turneffe Island Resort back in February. Great resort and probably the closest resort to the Blue Hole (1-1½ hour boat ride). This is pretty nice because you will get there early before any of the other operations do. The resort is nice and all inclusive. Diving is some of the best in Belize. Five to ten minute boat ride to the sites and then surface interval back at the resort.

You might also look into Turneffe Flats Resort. We stayed there about five years ago. They dive sites that the other resorts don't, as well as most of the common one's, such as the Blue Hole.

Gina, other than it being your anniversary, is the main purpose of this vacation for diving by both of you?

I just had a family of four divers from San Francisco at Turneffe Flats, third trip and they loved it. I have had good reviews from Blackbird Caye as well. The Blue Tang Inn is not a bad deal.

I stayed at a tiny place called Meta Rocks, very adequate if you are there to dive. Ambergris on a whole if you are looking for beach, doesn't really fit the bill. Ramon's runs a Blue Hole trip and that's who I used and felt they did a good job (Booked through Enez at Belizean Dive Adventure) Most of the hotels on Ambergris Caye are just ok, however the town is funky and fun (you cruise around on golf carts) and there are several really good restaurants on the island....If its mostly about diving though I'd probably stay out at Turneffe. The trip from Ambergris Caye to the blue hole was a long and bumpy three hours.

Mata Rock's is a very small hotel but extremely well kept and managed. Has a little beach bar and some "beach" lounging area. Sargassum is a very serious problem on Ambergris Caye this year as is true in many other Caribbean destinations. There are some beautiful beaches on the north end of Ambergris Caye.

It is a long trip to the Blue Hole. I go with Amigos del Mar and it takes sbout 2 1/2 hours. It's a long but great day of diving out at the Atolls.

Thank you for your posts. We do want to do other things besides dive and have been looking at X'tan Ha on Ambergris Caye. It is on the north end and sounds like they have a nice beach.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 10:06 AM ----------

Also I'm totally torn on being on the north end of Ambergris Caye or the sound end near the town of San Pedro if anyone has any input ? Thank you

The only place we have stayed on AC is The Blue Tang Inn.
It was fine and very close to several good dive operations.

Thank you for your posts. We do want to do other things besides dive and have been looking at X'tan Ha on Ambergris Caye. It is on the north end and sounds like they have a nice beach.

X'Tan Ha is way north of the Bridge and very remote. and I'm not positive on this, but probably suffers from the Sea Grass ,and sargussum like the rest of the island.....If I was going to do that, and be that remote, I would definitely do Turneffe.....Turneffe is stunning and the diving is Fantastic. I did enjoy diving the reef out front of Ambergris too (Tackle Box was a great spot, that I could dive daily) , but it is just no comparison to the outer Atolls

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 10:06 AM ----------

Also I'm totally torn on being on the north end of Ambergris Caye or the sound end near the town of San Pedro if anyone has any input ? Thank you

X'Tan Ha is way north of the Bridge and very remote. and I'm not positive on this, but probably suffers from the Sea Grass ,and sargussum like the rest of the island.....If I was going to do that, and be that remote, I would definitely do Turneffe.....Turneffe is stunning and the diving is Fantastic. I did enjoy diving the reef out front of Ambergris too (Tackle Box was a great spot, that I could dive daily) , but it is just no comparison to the outer Atolls

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

If you stay south of the bridge, you will be a pretty easy golf cart ride to San Pedro. Meta Rocks was pretty far south and was about 1 mile by golf cart to town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom