Belize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edude794

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello to the Forum. New member,long time diver. I am going to Belize in March, staying on Amberious Caye. Has anyone been there lately and how was the diving. Also any other info you could provide to be would be appricated.

Was there a year ago, stayed at the Mayan Princess, on the beach. did 5 days of diving with Amigos Del Mar, very near our hotel. They're a pretty good operation and I would dive with them again. The diving near by is easy, good but not spectacular. I definately reccomend lighthouse reef and the blue hole. that diving is exceptional.

Night dives at the underwater park is awesome too. Take a day to off gas and do the cave tubing in the jungle too, it's well worth is.

otherwise, Amberious Caye has less than spectacular beaches, but good dining and bars. I had a lot of fun and would like to go back

Take care,
John

The barrier reef has a lot of good sites especially if you are into big animals. Turtles, nurse shark, and goliath grouper are very common andbull shark are not unusual. March can be WINDY though, making the boat ride a bit rough and exits a little dicey if you're not sharp. Still, I recommend the Island. I have been three times and am going back again in the fall.

I was at Ambergris Caye in July 06 for 9 days and it was absolutely fantastic. I stayed at Lillys Hotel. It was a basic room for $55 per night; however, I was just yards away from Amigos del Mar diving shop. Would rather spend my money on diving than a fancy hotel. they were absolutely fantastic. Made two dives from a small boat daily and one three tank dive on a big boat to the Blue Hole.

Only problem I had was communication back to the states. Cell phones did not work, could only use credit card international phones which is extremely expensive. However, found several internet coffee shops. Food is cheap and great, especially the sea food. Rum and Cuban cigars are cheap. Bought plenty of black coral.

Beautiful reefs, hawksbill turtles, spotted eagle rays, Moray eels, held and petted nurse sharks. Amigos del Mar will keep your equipment the entire time you are there and give you personal treatment. I will go back this year again.

Patricia Martin
Fayetteville, NC

Thanks for the info everone. I am really getting stoked for this trip and cant wait to get out of this cold weather. I am in the process of buying new gear and am going to do alot of diving. We will be in Belize 10 days.:D

flyingmermaid:
Only problem I had was communication back to the states. Cell phones did not work, could only use credit card international phones which is extremely expensive. However, found several internet coffee shops. Food is cheap and great, especially the sea food. Rum and Cuban cigars are cheap. Bought plenty of black coral.

Beautiful reefs, hawksbill turtles, spotted eagle rays, Moray eels, held and petted nurse sharks. Amigos del Mar will keep your equipment the entire time you are there and give you personal treatment. I will go back this year again.

Patricia Martin
Fayetteville, NC

Our wonderful BTL...the most expensive phone service in the world and perhaps the worst service. It's a small monopoly and it does suck.
I'm surprised you bought black coral. Most of Belize is pretty evironmentally conservative and selling coral is frowned upon.

Was there July 2004, and April 2005. LOVE IT LOVE IT! Stayed in San Pedro. Everything is walking distance, restaurants are awesome, and the people are friendly and happy.

Be sure to FLY (20 minutes) into San Pedro versus the 2 hour wet and bumpy boat ride there. Splurge and take the plane. Only about 15-20 more each way.

Went with PATOJOS dive center at the TIDES RESORT north of town, best price for all inclusive 5 2tank dives, breakfast and room for around $575 (mid $600's high season). Diving is easy, lots of fun drift diving, lots to see, fun tunnels and ridges to swim through and around. 84 degree water. I dove in a bikini! Small boat with 6-12 people. The boat follows you for pickup. Staff puts your fins on for you etc. you just have to jump in the water!

Occasional rain showers lasted about 5-10 minutes. Bring mosquito spray, as they come out WHEN the wind dies down.

For whaleshark watching fly to Placencia and use SEAHORSE DIVERS to go out to Gladden Spit and swim with them. But you need to go between May,Jun, July and only 3 days before and/or after a FULL MOON. I got to swim with TWO and I will NEVER forget it.

for stay at the Tides Resort: www.ambergriscaye.com/tides
ask for PATOJO (Pah-toe-ho) and tell him VALENTINA sent you! He will take good care of you.

Absolutely dive with Amigos Del Mar! Or Ambergris Divers. NEVER Aqua Dives.

Locals use baby oil to shield off the pesky sand flies on the beach. Bring some! I only used them on my legs and it worked great for walking into town via the beach. I didn't lie down on the beach because I didn't want to put baby oil all over my body. I had SO MANY BITES last year when I was lying on the beach everyday in Placencia.

Most shops are closed on Sundays, just a warning.

If you want to go on trips to see the Mayan ruins, other cayes, the zoo, whatever.. Use SEAduced (http://www.seaducedbybelize.com/) ! The owner's wife makes meals/snacks for the boat and it is SO GOOD! The rum punch/beer is good as well. :) Have a fun trip!

'Bought plenty of black coral'

Isnt that a No-No??

OK, you've got me interested. I guess you fly into Belize City and then what? How do you get to Amberious Caye from there?

Back
Top Bottom