Belize with 10 people....need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firedogut

Contributor
Reaction score
looks like my family and and my in-laws will be spending christmas in belize. There are 10 people in all (5-7 divers 3-5 non divers some said they might get certs before then)
no kids.

we need a place to stay. i've never been to belize so what would be best, a house, a hotel (5-6 rooms) or a villa?

where is the best area to stay that has good shore diving plus stuff for the the non divers?

so much to plan so any help would be great.

Try Ramon's Village on AC, you won't be disappointed and there is something for everyone!

None of the main dive areas in Belize (including Ambergris where Ramon's is) have shore diving. Belize just isn't a shore diving place. There are a variety of little resorts on various cays and atolls, maybe there's someplace out there that has shore diving, but it's unlikely to have "stuff" for your non divers.

You might try Casa incommunicado, it is located 3.5 miles south, they have a pool and nice beach.
As the other poster said there isn't any shore diving , all the dive centers will pick you up from the resort or house.
Another place to look at is Portofino's they have a house for larger groups. it is located 6 mi north
they have a great pool and dining facility.

Thatch Caye Resort has snorkelling around the caye and we offer Mayan ruin tours, waterfall tours, tours to caves, and to Jaguar Preserves. The caye is only a 25 minute boatride to the mainland and each tour on the mainland is made to suit the desires of its guests. All of our packages include the option of mainland tours or snorkelling and scuba diving. We also dive the Blue Hole, Turneffe, and Glover's Reef in addition to our daily dives off the South Water Caye walls.

Thatch Caye also has lots of sea kayaks free to use by the guests and is right next door to one of the very few nesting sites in the whole Caribbean of the majestic frigate bird which you can paddle out to in the kayaks.

Tobacco Caye and Southwater Caye SHOULD have shorediving..I would guess they'd allow it...but not much else. They're tiny little islands right on the reef. And you'd be close to Thatch Caye too !!! (you owe me one Travis) hah

Thatch is right inbetween Tobacco and South Water Caye but is much prettier. Thanks for the plug anyways though, Hank. Looking forward to seeing you one of these days over on this side but it's very breezy now. Could be 25 to 30 knots by tonight or tomorrow. Not ideal conditions to run a skiff out into unless you gotta do it.

Looks like our trip out will have to be delayed a bit! But Travis, what are the bugs on Thatch Caye like when the air is still?

We don't have sandflies out here but we do get mosquitoes after heavy rains. I don't think that anywhere on the coast or anywhere out on the cayes can really prevent mosquitoes from breeding when it rains heavily. They breed in the water contained in any cup, plastic container, frisbee, puddle, etc. and if the caye next door to yours or land next door to you has them, no matter what you do, you will have them as well. But our cabanas are up eight feet off of the ground and all have four fans in them and are all well-screened and have lots of windows for cross-ventilation and the deluxe ones even have air conditioning,so mosquitoes are not an issue which makes sleeping in them a pleasure. And we also have lots of iguanas and geckos out here, so a few days after a mosquito outbreak, we are usually in good shape. Natural control does work when you have the right predators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom