Belize vacation destination advice/reccomendations needed (Diver/Non-Diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubydoobydoo:
I think i am going to save Belize for a future trip. I am thinking that Fantasy Island Resort in Roatan might be the best all around place. Good diving, nice beach and pool, lush tropical setting. Perfect!

I may have to do Belize as an extra long weekend with divers only.

Just my .02, but Fantasy Island was the worst place I have stayed anywhere. The room was old and smelly. I almost starved trying to find some decent food (I like my bacon cooked). The beach is just a beach, nothing all that great. Again, just my opinion; and my wife's and she was the non-diver.

The diving was good at Roatan. I 'll do it again someday, but not at that resort (resort is really stretching the word).

Depending on how much you want to spend and such, take a look at Plaza Resort, Bonaire. Now that's a place with a beach. And rooms almost as big as some houses.

I just got back from Belize Saturday. Had a great time and stayed at exotic caye resort south of town. Very clean with friendly staff, but definitely NOT fancy. When you go, check out Chuck & Robbie's dive shop. The boat is clean and well maintained and Robbie is very flexible and easy to deal with. He gave my girlfriend and me two tank dives for $55 and took us out even when we were his only two customers. I left his phone # at home, but just pm me if you want it. BTW, I was also in belize late march of 2005 and the trade winds were blowing pretty heavy (lots of chop and moderate vis). I don't know if it gets any better by April. I've discovered though if you don't mind some afternoon rain autumn conditions are great and you can find some good off season rates (my condo was $529 for the week).

Chuck & Robbie run a great small operation and no-one would go wrong with them. But one point - the deal they gave Tim would be available from any operator here, so long as you booked directly.

The numbers I have for them are 226-2732 (wired) and 610-4424 (cell).

What is the formal name of Chuck & Robbie's dive operation?

I will be in Belize for just one day in December and want to sneak in 2 dives during our very brief stop over. Sounds like they might be flexible enough for me to use on this trip.

Are they located in Belize City or elsewhere?

On the subject of Roatan and Coco View resort: Stayed thier for 10 straight days and never got tired of the diving (been diving since 1977). Lots of great boat dives but plenty to see while shore diving as well. Night diving is particulary cool along the nearby wall.

Yes - there is a beach, nothing elaborate. They also have the over-water lodges with raised walkways extending out into the ocean and at least 1 hammock to lounge in at the far end of the walkway.

There is a highly regarded public beach across the island from Coco View and since a taxi ride is pretty cheap on Roatan, the GF could always go check it out at least once.

peterbj7:
Chuck & Robbie run a great small operation and no-one would go wrong with them. But one point - the deal they gave Tim would be available from any operator here, so long as you booked directly.

The numbers I have for them are 226-2732 (wired) and 610-4424 (cell).

Chuck & Robbie are called ..... "Chuck & Robbie". They're on Ambergris Caye, an island 35 miles from your port. So no - they won't be able to help you, unless you fly there & back, and not necessarily then. You need to find a dive center in Belize City. Try "Belize Sports Belize" or "Belize Dive Connection".

Chuck and Robbie have a web site
Chuck and Robbie's

We used them for all our local diving when we were there in Nov. '05. We will be using them again on our next trip in April '07.

Thanks for the feedback - actually there is enough time to take a hop over to Ambergris Caye so I will investigate the timing and cost. I would expect that the diving will be much better than what can be done from any boats heading out from Belize City - correct?

Ray

Certainly cheaper, since distances are less. Probably also better, though I haven't dived the barrier reef in the area they dive from Belize City. But from the City they go to north Turneffe far more than is done from here. So "different" as well as "probably better".

Scuby good choice to not go to San Pedro She will really have nothing to do but shop. I have been there but didn't stay on S.P. I was there in March and we stayed on Caye Calker Island. I was with my brother and his wife that have been there many times. We even have property there. It would be a great place if she just wants to sit and swim and RELAX. Beach swimming is much better on C.C. than S.P. C.C. is almost like Gilligans Island. No cars but great people. You might want to save that for your long weekend. If you go dive with Doc. his shop is inside Oceanside bar. Have fun and try to get her in the water.

Back
Top Bottom