Belize vacation destination advice/reccomendations needed (Diver/Non-Diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. We just returned recently from Aruba and already am
planning the next vacation for April 2007. I
automatically thought Ambergris Caye Belize. Lots of
topside activities to keep my non-diving girlfriend
Juliet occupied, some great diving, romantic
and not overly developed.

I looked at a lot of resorts and have narrowed it down
to Banana Beach, Royal Caribbean or the Victoria
House.

So my questions / Concerns are these:

Beaches - I read a lot about the sea grass - Are any
of the beaches swimmable? or is the swimming done
mainly off the piers? Since she will be on land the
beach/pool combo is important.

Hotels - Any other recommendations? Do any resorts
have small fitness rooms?
Does Hamanasi or Turnefee Island Lodge have anything
to recommend them for a non diver?

My girlfriend's needs are pretty simple - decent beach
with available shade, pool, fitness room (not a must
but definitely a bonus)

I don't think we want to be too far from town where we
can eat at more reasonable restaurants and get some
local color.

I guess our budget would be around $4000.00 + diving. From what I have seen airfare and lodging will be approx $2500.00 - $2800.00

We were also considering
Roatan (not sure if there is enough for Juliet to do
while I dive)
Costa Rica - The diving and diving conditions didn't
seem as good
Dominica - too long of a flight - going for seven days
so flight time / transfers is an issue Continental has
direct flights to Belize City.

We have been to Mexico and are not ready to return to
just yet.

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

As for dive ops it looks like Protec and/or Ecological

It is early in the planning so I am open to all
suggestions and opinions

Thanks

Check out Ramons. Excellent Padi 5 Star. Look up Touriano. Great dive Master who owns his own boat and dives out of Ramons. They have lockers on the pier so you do not have to haul your equipment back to the room. They have a comfortable poolside beach bar. Best beach on the Island. Best Pier and perfect location for shopping, restaurants, etc. No need for a golf cart unless you want to get out of town. This March will be our 4th trip to San Pedro and if I couldn't dive with Turanio, for one reason or another, I'd probably go to Amigos del mar.

Scubydoobydoo:

Thanks

I haven't been yet but can't wait to go.
Be sure to give us a trip report when you return. I am
also looking to do the same trip next fall.

If you want swimmable beaches, try looking into the resorts more north of town. Journey's End is about 4 miles and there are others out that way. The beaches in San Pedro town are loaded with boats on the move. Not a real safe place to swim unless you just stay in shore in knee deep water.
There is sea grass pretty much everywhere. It's not a problem though. If you go in the water, just snorkel around. There can be the occasional (and now falsely perceived as deadly and dangerous) sting ray buried in the sand which you could step on.

I think i am going to save Belize for a future trip. I am thinking that Fantasy Island Resort in Roatan might be the best all around place. Good diving, nice beach and pool, lush tropical setting. Perfect!

I may have to do Belize as an extra long weekend with divers only.

You'll get lots of debate on this, but I much prefer CocoView in roatan over Fantasy Island. Much better shore diving in the channel from Cocoview side, but the "beach" may be better at FI depending on what you want.

Cocoview rocks, I found it way to easy to get in 19 dive in 5.5 days, and that's slacking compared to some people who get in 20-25 dives in the same period.

I have stayed at Banana Beach--it was nice, and we dove with Victoria House--VERY NICE. I have also been to Roatan. I think your GF may get bored out of her mind there. Not a ton to do in Roatan for the non-diver. We preferred Utila to Roatan, but Utila is not a place to take non-divers--no beaches. Belize you can get to the ruins, the town of Ambergris is much nicer than any of the towns in Roatan (e.g. more to do) and if you are at FI, you are pretty much stuck at the resort. Just my 2 cents.

She is pretty easily occupied. The beach is what it really comes down to. FIBR I guess have a manmade beach... But this was really the deciding factor.

After looking into it it is like 1/2 the price of Belize so thats not too bad either.

She can hang out at the pool and beach and relax and we can take one or two trips around the island or to town for dinner. Alot of the dive sites seem to be pretty close to the resort so iI will probaly wind up spending more time with her than the last few trips where the Dive op had to pick me up at the hotel drive 20 minutes or so to the dock then get the boat ready and go.

Does Coco View have a beach? They have a fitness room and Internet which she would like, but I dont think they have a beach, again a deal breaker.

She is being super cool about going to a dive resort so if she wants a beach - its the least I can do.

Either way I am already getting excited. I think we are going to go the last week of April as i have read that the weather amnd vis will be better than mid april. Hopefully i can squeeze in a weekend dive somewhere close by beforehand

Scubydoobydoo:

I looked at a lot of resorts and have narrowed it down
to Banana Beach, Royal Caribbean or the Victoria
House.

So my questions / Concerns are these:

Beaches - I read a lot about the sea grass - Are any
of the beaches swimmable? or is the swimming done
mainly off the piers? Since she will be on land the
beach/pool combo is important.

Hotels - Any other recommendations? Do any resorts
have small fitness rooms?
Does Hamanasi or Turnefee Island Lodge have anything
to recommend them for a non diver?

My girlfriend's needs are pretty simple - decent beach
with available shade, pool, fitness room (not a must
but definitely a bonus)

I don't think we want to be too far from town where we
can eat at more reasonable restaurants and get some
local color.

I guess our budget would be around $4000.00 + diving. From what I have seen airfare and lodging will be approx $2500.00 - $2800.00

We were also considering
Roatan (not sure if there is enough for Juliet to do
while I dive)
Costa Rica - The diving and diving conditions didn't
seem as good
Dominica - too long of a flight - going for seven days
so flight time / transfers is an issue Continental has
direct flights to Belize City.

We have been to Mexico and are not ready to return to
just yet.

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

As for dive ops it looks like Protec and/or Ecological

It is early in the planning so I am open to all
suggestions and opinions

Thanks

I stayed at banana beach and although it was an ok place I wouldnt stay there if you want to be close to town. It took about 35min or so to walk to town on the beach. They have a restaraunt on site but I only ate breakfast there because it was free with the room. They have two pools, a small bar, the monkey travel buisiness on site, nice shady area with lounges by the beach. I could be wrong but I dont believe any of the hotels have a fitness room.

Beaches are swimmable but there is plenty of seagrass around and some places rake it up daily. swimming from piers is good too. Never stayed at Hamanasi or Turnefee Island Lodge but TIL looks nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom