Belize Travel Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
There are no private beaches in San Pedro and you can walk the beach from one end to the other. So Ramons is no different than any other in that regard except that is more in the center of town. The grounds are as secure as anywhere there except for the few that have walled their places in. (I lived there for a year and a half)
I don't understand how too many kids on a pier can make snorkeling unsafe. What makes snorkeling unsafe in San Pedro are all the boats going back and forth. Anyone will tell you not to snorkel there. And all piers are public also. Sounds like Belize in general isn't your kind of place.

That was not my experience or feeling at Ramone's. Yes, all the beaches are public but the further you are from town, San Pedro, the less foot traffic you get along the beach. I'm not just talking about foot traffic but how many town's people stop at Ramones and use the chairs and swim at Ramone's beach. Can get crowded.

How does the few dozens school kids hanging out at the gazebo at the end of the pier prevent you from safely snorkeling in front of Ramones? They are standing up on the railings, and dock, and dive bombing into the water with little concern for who might be in the under them. Again, if you are paying a bit of a premium for a place you should not have those concerns. In short, it is very public, unlike what their great webpage gives you the impession they are. I also found it a bit noisey. Muisc from the restaurant just outside the property blares till late at night and if you have one of the cabins in the rear of the property, it is annoying. Not comfortable.

Scuba65:
Redgraccoon & Barfarf when you guy's going to be in Belize? My hubby and I will be in Ambergris Caye on the 24th.

We're leaving this Sunday so unfortunately we're going to miss you. (The GF's birthday is on Saturday and thinks we're diving NC or FL... she obviously hasn't noticed I already packed her passport. *grin*) It doesn't seem like 6 days will be enought do a lot of these great suggestions - THANKS ALL!! - but if lack of time is the only problem during this last minute trip, I'll count myself fortunate! I'm leaning toward staying down in Placencia and diving with Pigletfish & Peterbj's suggestion of Seahorse Divers. The boat rides will be a little longer, but wouldn't hurt to see the inland some.

I'll be there during the full moon on the 14th which I'm told is a good thing? Just didn't follow if that relates to whale sharks or just general reef activity.

Hey there scuba65!!! MY girl friend and I leaving out of the super huge international airport of Indianapolis, Indiana (why they have one who knows but its better then O’hare) on march 19 to Sunday march 26th. It looks like we will miss you. Too bad too, I am looking forward to meeting some new scuba buddies on this trip. Regardless, I am very excited about this trip I am a scuba newbie and she is the dive master. Can guess who encouraged who? =)

Ayisha, glad to hear you didn’t get sick at branch cave. We are thinking of making our way over there for a day or two. As for immunizations or meds I teach docs computers skills at a hospital we have one on staff that specializes in international medicine so he knows his stuff. While you really don’t need any meds think of it as a form of insurance, like car insurance its better to have with then without in the off chance you get sick. You never know when a drunken Malaria ridden rouge mosquito bites you out of nowhere. The CDC is good but a vague and generic on the details. The docs recommend in addition to the CDC to check out mdtravelhealth. Your right though the number thing to prevent Malaria is bug spray with a high deet level. Also the Malaria ridden mosquito come out between dusk and dawn so if your indoor with A/C at night its even less of an issue.
http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/mamerica_carib/belize.html

From other trips and working in the hospital i aready have Hep-A, Hep-B, tetanus and, measles-mumps-rubella. For Belize right now i am on anti Maralia and Typhoid.

Soon to be in Belize,
Chris

I stayed at the Sun Breeze in Ambregris Caye, Convenient: right accross the street from the airport, not a problem, good dive operator on site, Nice courtyard and pool area and great bar and restaurant. Highly recommend. Moderately priced at about $100 per room double occ.

I read through th string and was curious. My husband and I are going in May and we're thinking of either Aquamarina Suites or Belize Beach Villas, both in San Pedro. Would love opinions...

I am assuming that there is no easy shore diving in Belize. Would this be a true assumption? And what is the link for the Ramones web page? I have done searches for this great web site, but not able to come up with anything.

Would you believe www.ramons.com?

Yes, there's no shore diving in the northern part of Belize. I can't speak for the southerly parts, but I doubt if the mainland would offer anything. Tobacco Caye is right out by the reef and may have some shore diving - perhaps someone who's been there can confirm or deny this?

I guess the spelling is pretty important, huh? Thanks for the link and the info.

You can shore dive off Tobacco and Rendezvous Cayes. Actually you could shore dive off Rocky Point on Northern Ambergris. But it doesn't make any sense to do so because you have to slowly weave your way into there through coral heads starting from Basil Jones cut and there is nothing there. It's easier to just go outside the reef by boat since you're on one anyway. But the reef does almost touch the beach there. but soon there'll be a resort there I'd bet. I was up at Basil Jones yesterday and there are two resorts now on either side of the shrimp hatchery there. I was amazed at the developments going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom