Belize safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from ten days in Belize and had an excellent time. We stayed at Hamanasi just outside Hopkins, a sleepy little village where the people were really great and super laid back. No problems at all. Didn't go to Belize City and wouldn't for all the reasons stated. As we were departing at the airport, I did overhear a conversation between a U.S. business on a cell phone who said the "minister's driver" (not sure what that meant) was shot in Dangriga the night before during a burglary.

But where we were in Hopkins was just fine. Great diving vacation.

Many thanks for all the comments and advice. Caye Caulker sounds like the way to go. As some of the posters have correctly noted, there will be "sketchy" areas just about anywhere you visit. The irony of all of this is that I live on the outskirts of Baltimore, which is #1 or #2 in the U.S. for homicides per capita. I suppose it would be more justifiable for someone from Belize to ask where is a safe place to stay when visiting my hometown!

OK, so now that Caye Caulker sounds like a winner, does anyone have specific recommendations on where to stay (more upscale preferred) and which dive ops to use?

If you want upscale I would do Ambergrise - more options, particualrly for a non diver.

when are you going? i'm heading out there in two weeks (7/20) and plan on diving with frenchies dive op for a few days.

ECPaul:
Many thanks for all the comments and advice. Caye Caulker sounds like the way to go. As some of the posters have correctly noted, there will be "sketchy" areas just about anywhere you visit. The irony of all of this is that I live on the outskirts of Baltimore, which is #1 or #2 in the U.S. for homicides per capita. I suppose it would be more justifiable for someone from Belize to ask where is a safe place to stay when visiting my hometown!

OK, so now that Caye Caulker sounds like a winner, does anyone have specific recommendations on where to stay (more upscale preferred) and which dive ops to use?

Belize City has tamed down a bit... Act the same as you would in any city. Don't carry lots of cash, valuables. Act confident, be kind, curteous.... I did some nights out in Belize City and I felt a little worried being female but I am happy to report that I did not encounter ANY problems. Just act like "not in the inner harbor any more, toto":wink:

kimchicowboy:
when are you going? i'm heading out there in two weeks (7/20) and plan on diving with frenchies dive op for a few days.

Hey, what's with the name? Are you Korean, or just love Korean food? I have to know...

I don't plan on going diving next until December, as I won't have a chance for any vacation until then (just got back from Hawaii and will have to file a trip report), and I am the kind of person that just has to plan scuba trips many months in advance so that I have something to look forward to.

Have a great time!

Just returned from a week in Belize but was aboard the Aggressor for most of it. My last day we walked around Belize City buying postcards and souveniers and I would definately not recommend spending more time in Belize City than it takes for you to get from the airport to your dive boat or charter. I was in a group (safety in numbers) don't stray far from the Radisson Hotel for food and get out to the Cayes, inland for a rain forest experience or check out a Mayan ruin or twelve but don't waste your time in Belize City. P.S. I highly recommend Cave Tubing at Jaguar's Paw, it was worth every Belizian dollar.

I also just got back from Belize. We stayed on Ambergris for 9 days and had a fantastic time. All of the Belizean people we met were unbelievably friendly and treated us more like family guests than tourists. We traveled across the country to just shy of Guatamala for a mainland Mayan ruin and zip-line tour and found the same hospitality. (Although most locals don't recomend spending any more time than necessary in Belize City.)

For a comparison between Ambergris and Caye Calker; when we landed in Ambergris, they took our luggage to a van which shuttled it to the water taxi and off to our hotel. When we stopped in Caye Calker, I saw them load luggage onto the handle bars of a bicycle and ride off.

You'll have a great time either way.:D

ECPaul:
The irony of all of this is that I live on the outskirts of Baltimore, which is #1 or #2 in the U.S. for homicides per capita. I suppose it would be more justifiable for someone from Belize to ask where is a safe place to stay when visiting my hometown!

You are so right.
I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Even in my town of 40,000 we have had a shooting & a meth lab busted, all within walking distance of my house. I think most people from Belize would be terrified to visit my hometown. (even though it really isn't as bad as it sounds.)
Still, it is wise to ask about safety when traveling. There are certainly areas that are best to be avoided, especially at night. And it's nice to have a heads up about such places. People do have different comfort levels regarding safety and I'm sure that someone from a town of 4,000 would have a different comfort level than someone from NYC.
The rule of thumb is to be as cautious on vacation as you are at home, if not more so. I believe that as a tourist you stand out as an easy mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom