Belize safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK - I admit to being a bit lazy in posting this question as I am sure that it has been covered in other SB posts. Basically, I'm curious to know about the safety of Belize - is it a place where one can casually stroll around late into the evening (unlike Curacao), or not? Are cars broken in to, or not?

It seems a great place to go diving and is also very reasonably priced - a la Cozumel. We are planning our next dive trip and definitely considering Belize. Otherwise we'll probably head back to Coz, one of our favorite Carribean destinations.

You can not walk around in Belize City, especially at night. Out on the atols, Ambergris Caye, etc things are safe. Other areas I don't know about.

I haven't been to the cities in Belize...but I felt safe where I was. Of course it is hard to get robbed on a dive boat. Jamaica was the most unsafe feeling place I think I have ever been.

Brent

Belize is a relatively big place, as is Jamaica, and Curacao is a pretty decent size island, can't generalize about any of these places. The more touristed areas of Belize City (such as they are) seem fine during the day but you probably wouldn't stay there for long anyway. The cayes are of course a completely different thing. Same for Jamaica, ok it's been awhile but we never felt unsafe in any of the places a tourist would normally go. We've never had a problem or felt concerned in Curacao and we don't even stay on the beaten path there.

Some places feel fine with more than one person but might feel uncomfortable alone. Use common sense anyplace.

Dangriga and the outer cayes are pretty laid back. Placencia has had a few very strange shootings in the past several years (a few - compare to the city nearest you!).

There is safety in numbers.

I would not drive alone to Tikal, for example. I would not walk alone in Belize City, but then again, I wouldn't bother *going* to Belize City.

I'd hop into Dangriga, take a boat out to South Water Caye the next day (staying with Pelican Beach rather than the Blue Marlin) and contracting with a boat from the mainland to take you diving. All the diving in this location is expedition-style so don't expect a dive boat to pamper you. Onthe upside, diving from small skiffs gets you into places that very very few people get to dive.

An in-between option is Turneffe Lodge.

Enjoy.

Where are you planning to go in Belize, how long do you plan to stay, what mode of transportation, level of accommodation, type of adventure (diving, obviously, plus hiking, ruins, rapelling, caving, kayaking)? There are some dodgy areas but they're easy to avoid. With more information we can advise you better.

I will echo all the comments about Belize City. Just don't go there, there's nothing to see or do anyway. I stayed on Caye Caulker for 2+ weeks and I felt 100% safe.

battles2a5:
I will echo all the comments about Belize City. Just don't go there, there's nothing to see or do anyway. I stayed on Caye Caulker for 2+ weeks and I felt 100% safe.

I thinking of either Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker. Which would you suggest for a non-diving spouse? Are there any cayes that have significantly better diving than another? Thanks.

Ambergris is a little more settled, more food and shopping options, more directed toward families and folks with money; I think 85-90% of the visitors to Belize head there. Caulker is smaller, less developed, more laid back, a little more backpacker-ish, caters more to a younger crowd but lots of middle-aged and older folks prefer it and it tends to be cheaper. I think you dive basically the same sites from either.

Ya, I really like Caulker. I went to San Pedro (Ambergris) for a few surface intervals and it just seems very touristy. You get to know people quickly on Caulker and everyone is great. It's laid back, plenty of places to eat, and it is much cheaper. There isn't much to do outside of diving but you could say the same for Ambergris. The diving is identical, however the "local reef" off of San Pedro is better since Hol Chan is right there. So it's 10 minutes to good diving instead of 20. Caulker is 20 min closer to Turneffe and the Blue Hole.

So personally I would go back to Caulker, but if I went there w/ someone who wasn't diving I would consider going to San Pedro. You also want to consider Dangria or Placencia. I think there are more non-diving options in the south. Good luck w/ whatever you decide. PM me if you end up going to Caulker and I can pass along some recommendations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom