Belize Planning, Please Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caileon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Want to plan a trip to Belize in Late May, Early June 2011. I have been around the Caribbean but have no experience with Belize. I would appreciate any help in picking a location. I have read many posts, but I can't find all the info in 1 spot, so it is hard to answer all my questions. From the answers I would like to form a educated opinion on where to stay. I am an experience diver and will be diving with other experienced divers. Here are the options I would like to have, but not all a must.
1) Lots of diving- At least 3 a day, would love unlimited shore diving, but I know that isn't always a option. Want to hit as many "signature" spots as I can. ie/elbow
2) Want to do a Whale Shark snorkel or dive
3) Reasonable price, going to dive, so don't care a lot about extras I will never see or use. All inclusive food helps, but not a must.
4) Nitrox not a must, but nice to have.
5) I take a ton of UW pics/video, so wild life diversity certainly helps, and so does good vis.
These are the main points, but other suggestions would help. I know live aboards are a option, but looking for dive resorts here.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

A lot depends on whether you want to be somewhere where diving is all there is to do, or whether you want to have another life as well. If you want to dive-dive-dive I might suggest one of the atoll resorts, such as (perhaps) Turneffe Island resort. If you want to combine diving with inland activities you should consider (mainly) Ambergris Caye or Placencia.

If you want to do a whale shark dive you'll need to be in southern Belize - Placencia, Hopkins, or one of the outlying islands (eg. Thatch Caye Resort).

Have a browse through Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate - it has a wealth of information on all of Belize, not just Ambergris Caye.

I second Turneffe Island Resort. Absolutely wonderful place to stay.

I will be staying at Turneffe Flats in 30 days, and plan on doing a writeup upon my return.

I live near Placencia Village, Belize much of the year. Last spring I saw my first whale shark while diving at Gladdin Spit, which is off the shore from Placencia.

I can not recommend any of the resorts for diving as much as Avadon Divers of Placencia for quality of service and excellent dive trips. Their equipment, boat and staff are tops. It is are a dive operation that does not provide accommodation themselves, although they may assist you with arranging such.

Ambergris Caye is too far north for whale shark diving and also a good ways from Blue Hole. I have been to Blue Hole with Avadon leaving from Placencia - it is a long trip but doable. Last year in May every whale shark trip that they took was successful in finding them. In April that happened for just a few days. Spring whale shark season occurs between full and 1/4 moon.

As far as where to stay, there are numerous choices. Los Porticos condos are located across the street and turtle Inn is just down the Street from Avadon. They provide transportation for divers from most locations on Placencia with rates from budget to luxury.

Sounds Like Turneffe would suit you with the exception of the Whale Shark excursion but the location will make up for that its perfectly located for you to dive the best of Belize from one location.

Gaz

Yesterday and the day before we left Placencia at 7:00 am dive Southwater Caye, then onto dive the elbow at Turneffe, then to Lighthouse to dive the Aquarium and overnighted at Lighthouse. Dived the Blue Hole before breakfast yesterday (we were the only boat there at that time and saw lots of sharks), then did two dives on the way back to Placenica. A great two days! Splash does all of the things you want and can arrange a package that fits your needs. You can check us out at Splash Dive Center, Placencia, Belize. or contact Patty at patricia@splashbelize.com.

Hey Ralph

From what I have been told by several Placencia Operators that there were serious issues with getting minimum numbers together to guanrantee departure for a trip like you have just described from Placencia to the Blue Hole unless it was a group.

If thats changed and you now guarantee trips like that for individuals please let me know the details as its very marketable but I would of thought a trip like you are describing would require at least a min of 10 persons to make it a viable departure from Placencia ??

Sounds like a great trip

Gaz

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom