Belize (Placencia) diving in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello folks,

I'm looking at scheduling a dive trip to Placencia, Belize in August. I've never dived Belize before and was wondering,

1. How are the surface conditions in August? I know some times of the year the conditions can be "spirited".
2. How is the diving this time of year? Is this a good or bad month to dive Belize?

Thanks everyone for your free advice!

DougieG

It’s ‘rainy’ season at that time of year..... meaning, either an evening rain or sun and some clouds during the day...

Most of Belize is protected by the reef, so unless you are heading waaaaaay out, it shouldn’t be rough at all.

I recommend (if you can), head out to Glover’s , south water Caye, Pompion and Grand Channel areas.

I know Splash heads out that far on their rotation.

_R

I go to Placencia every summer, usually in June but sometimes as late as August.

You can expect some spectacular thunderstorms at night. Every time this happens, I think, "Well, no diving tomorrow." And it often rains into the early morning, like 8 or 9 o'clock but not as hard. Then the sun comes out, everything dries out and off we go.

It's the wind that can cause dives to be cancelled. I usually stay for three weeks, diving the first and third weeks and running around the jungle during the middle week. I'd guess the wind caused diving to be cancelled on average maybe one day a week, if that. Splash, my dive op of choice, monitors the wind very carefully.

You pay your money, you take your chances. The good news is that if diving is cancelled, there's a ton of stuff to do and see right up the road. Mayan ruins, cave tubing, Cockscomb Basin hiking, jungle exploration and even zip lining for those braver than me. Or just hang out in Placencia and relax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom