Belize or Utila...what to do?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tatonkadive

Registered
Reaction score
I just found this site...pretty cool!

I just graduated with an MBA and planned on spending a month in Belize, and would love to get my Rescue Diver cert. and my Divemaster if I can swing it. My issue is that having just shelled out a lot of money for an MBA I am a bit cash poor. I got talked into buying a ticket to Belize and meeting up with a friend, but he's going to be volunteering and being the selfish nob that I am, I'd prefer to do more diving. So now after doing some research it looks like Utila would be a lot cheaper, even with the price of transportation to get from Belize.

My question is this...what do you suggest I do? What are your suggestions for the best valuesin Belize and/or Utila for diving and lodging?

tatonkadive:

I just graduated with an MBA and planned on spending a month in Belize, and would love to get my Rescue Diver cert. and my Divemaster if I can swing it. My issue is that having just shelled out a lot of money for an MBA I am a bit cash poor. I got talked into buying a ticket to Belize and meeting up with a friend, but he's going to be volunteering and being the selfish nob that I am, I'd prefer to do more diving. So now after doing some research it looks like Utila would be a lot cheaper, even with the price of transportation to get from Belize.

My question is this...what do you suggest I do? What are your suggestions for the best valuesin Belize and/or Utila for diving and lodging?

Go to Utila. The economy on the island is dive training driven and very competitive. You can get rooms for $5.00 night and a furnished apt. for about $250-$300 per month. Eating out is cheap. Tacos (Baleadas) are about fifteen cents on the street. Take the ferry or fly in. Spend the first night at Hotel Rose and check with Steve at Deep Blue Divers (across the street) Then check with Tex at Ecomarine/Gunter's (down the road a few blocks) You'll do your divemasters, have a ton of fun, meet some of the greatest people around and get in at least 60-70 dives.

Regards,

tatonkadive:

Go for Utila, you'll love it, it's not just great value but a high quality resort for dive training.

My advice, check all the dive centers, not just a partial recommendation, particulary pay attention to the long term Instructors and management, that's a sign of a good facility and you'll probably get the best training, experiences and like Cudabait says 'meet some great friends'.

Let me know if you have any specifics?

Andy

Belize is very heavily taxed on all imports and services, so Roatan and/or Utila is much much cheaper!

Hi

Utila is a really great place to be, the diving is great we have Whale Sharks and nowdays some really great instruction here.

It is cheap to live here and a fun place to be, as it has been said before you can get accomodation and food cheap here.

There are some very good diveschools on the island now i would suggest taking a walk around a few of them when you arrive they will all offer you different things but one thing i would say is dont go for the cheapest, you will not get the best course.

If you need any info feel free to contact me

You can actually live pretty cheap on Ambergris Caye as well. As far as diving prices are concerned, you will probably be trading "shop time" (translation:dive shop slave and tank hauler) for diving and leading dives towards the end of your tenure if you are any good. Have a good long discussion with any prospective dive operation before you jump into anything.

I've been to Belize, Utila and Roatan a few times (last winter I went to all three + Tikal in three weeks). Honduras would be much cheaper for diving. If you are flying into Belize, it might be worth going out to Caye Cauker for a couple of nights but the diving is expensive and the good dive sites are far away. Roatan is probably my favorite but Utila is usually the cheapest place to get your Rescue Diver. It is cheap to go between Utila and Roatan - if you have a month, get your rescue diver in Utila and then go to the West End of Roatan for 1-2 weeks. Note that the flights from Belize to Honduras only go 3 times a week from Belize City to San Pedro Sula to La Cieba to (Roatan or Utila) - its not as bad as it sounds, they are little puddle jumpers. If you go to Honduras, make sure you spend one night in the Pico Bonito national park. Do a canopy tour and/or rafting.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi

Utila is a really great place to be, the diving is great we have Whale Sharks and nowdays some really great instruction here.

If you need any info feel free to contact me

Are the Whale Sharks around in Aug/Sept? I was under the impression that they were not. I'll definitely look you up when I get to Utila Steve!

Thanks for everyone's help on the boards! I leave tomorrow for Belize...probably to Utila soon after. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to get there for transport between the two? (Plane, Boat, Bus?)

Cheers,
Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom