Belize or Utila , or split?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to live on Isla Mujeres (wasn't diving back then, unfortunately).
From what I gather from my friends there, the place has really developped and might be too crowded for your liking.
But it has a beautiful beach and is both laid-back and fun : bars, restaurants, live music, nice locals and many repeat tourists.

It's also very easy to get too : fly into Cancun, then take a cab to Puerto Juarez (30 minute ride, if my memory is right) and a boat to the island (20 minute ride).
Many places to stay at : AI resorts, small charming guest-houses, regular hotels, and the best hostel in Yucatan, right by the beach.

You can walk anywhere in town (located on the North side of the island, where Playa Norte is) or rent a moped or a golf cart to tour the island (it's small).

Isla is so close to the mainland that you can only spend 3 or 4 days there doing the whale shark dives before moving on to visit other places in Yucatan.

You can easily bus down from Cancun to Belize City (crossing the border and changing bus in Chetumal), boat to one of the cayes, and ultimately fly home from Belize.
You can stop on the way down in Playa del Carmen and dive the cenotes, and/or in Tulum, and/or in Mahahual or Xcalak which have a beautiful reef and are departures points for trips to Banco Chinchorro.

Here's a link about bus travel from Cancun to Belize : Belize Report: Belize--Cancun; Air and bus links
Info on Isla Mujeres : Welcome to Isla Mujeres Net. The official web site for Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Info on Mahahual : mahahual information

Another option could be to fly from Cancun to Flores in Guatemala and visit the ruins of Tikal, set amidst a beautiful jungle.

Oh, and should your son decide he wants to stay home with his computer : will you pleaaaase adopt me ? :blinking:

I have been to Cancun, not my kind of place, for sure! If we fly into Cancun, you can be sure I will be finding the first, fast, taxi outta there!

We were at PDC about 7 years ago, didn't get to dive , but, the beaches were beautiful and the area was nice. We had a guide and he took us to a "special beach" , we were the only ones there besides the locals. Don't remember the name, but it was really beautiful, all the locals boats just anchored right there at the beach. I think we would enjoy doing some diving in that area this time. And of course, gotta do the Whale Sharks, he's very interested in sharks, whales, dolphins, all the big ones! Isla Mujeres is on my short list ,too. Sounds like a fun place.

Thanks, annlaur for the Info about the bus. I think that would be a great idea. I love the idea of going down to Belize, also. From what I have read sounds like incredible diving. We are campers , so some discomfort on a bus is no big deal if it gets us where we want to go. And NO, my son is not staying home with his stupid computer...., I can still legally make him do whatever I want! (LOL)

Plus what Robin said intrigues me " Ambergris Caye,Belize is probably alot like Cozumel used to be - no paved roads, small village with nice beaches." I think this is probably what we will do. I would love to do Roatan, but it sounds like no good way to do both. Seems kind of silly to fly all the way back to the States to go between Islands.

I know we can fly to Cancun with a return flight from Belize, already checked with Continental, plus I'll get miles for another trip. Maybe Roatan/Utila for that one, sans the College kid!

I'm planning on going to that area (still hesitating on the destinations too, but plan on traveling somewhere between Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, Belize and Mexico) this winter, I'll post a trip report and more bus/boat info when I come back. Can't wait !!!
Just so you know, if things haven't changed, the last boat from Puerto Juares to Isla Mujeres leaves around 11 pm, so don't fly into Cancun too late if you don't want to spend the night there (sooo not my kind of place either). I think there's a way to boat from Chetumal to the cayes through a small town in Belize called Corozal, I'm investigating that possibility.
The first class buses in Mexico are a lot more comfy than Greyhound in the US. Main inconveniences are they often overuse the air conditionning (bring a sweater and a scarf) and play movies or music too loud. For short trips, the second class buses might be your only option. They are slower (I remember a driver making a detour to stop at his home and get clean shirts !!!) and lack in comfort, but I find them a lot of fun. Great way to meet locals.

You'll find info on diving in Playa del Carmen and Belize in the according forums. It seems that Caye Caulker is more laid back than Ambergris. Also check on Mahahual, stayed there almost a month 5 years ago, and totally loved it. Very quiet, laid-back, great diving and a biology sort of station there with young volunteers doing surveys of the reef. Was pristine at the time, don't know about today. Mahahual and Xcalak are also the only places to take dive trips to Banco Chinchorro, which is supposed to be one of the greatest places in the area.

If you're going to be moving around a bit, I'd recommand you get a copy of Lonely Planet's handbooks about the region. "Central America on a shoestring" covers all the area and more, but it's geared mainly at people on a tight budget, so only the cheapest hotels and hostels. You can buy online chapters of the places you're interested in at the following link : Lonely Planet pick&Mix chapters page 1/8

Last edited:
Thanks Annalaur-
I am looking forward to reading your trip report and I'll watch for it.
We are not really on a tight budget, I have started planning this way in
advance so have lots of time to save!
Plus have airlines miles to use for flights! I think we will fly home out of Belize.
Don't mind taking the bus one way, but, probably won't want to go back up to Cancun just to fly home.
Plus , ONCE in Cancun is enough!! (LOL)
by the way, Annalaur- you don't need me to adopt you, your going before me!
Maybe YOU should adopt me, instead.
Thanks everyone for all the great info!!!

Back
Top Bottom