Belize or Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbrads

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone...I have been researching Roatan and Belize for a trip with my wife who is a non diver. I am finding it difficult to locate a boutique style hotel right on the beach with a pool in Roatan. I will only be diving once a day, so I just want to make sure my wife can hang by the pool or on the beach while I am off diving. I liked the set up at Henry Morgan but its too big for our taste. That brings me to Belize. Seems a bit more expensive but seems that there are more choices in that respect. We are looking for a nice, small boutique resort with diving on site. Preferably on a pretty beach too. Can anyone recommend a place for us? Thanks in advance.

We stayed at Anothonys Key in Roatan and there were non divers and they sent out a snorklel boad daily. We did not leave the resport and didnt have much reason to. Not sure there is a lot to do if you did.

we will be in Ambergris Caye in 6 weeks, looks like there is a nice little town and all, but I would not want my wife or daughter to wander off solo. Not for safety alone (I dont think that is th emain factor), but they would not take to the mens persistence (which I hear is not like th eUS).

On Roatan, IMO the only truly boutique hotel/b&b is Sante Wellness Center. Located on its own private island on the south side of Roatan off from Parrot Tree. Convenient to several dive centers and restaurants, pool, snorkeling from property, peaceful.

SL
Punta Blanca, Roatan
Durika, Costa Rica
Meredith, NH

We stayed at the Tides in Ambrigis Caye. They had diving on site, and a pool. Their suites have kitchenettes if you don't want to eat out every meal. They did prepare breakfast for our group every morning, but I am not sure if that's a regular thing or something special for our group. Its a short walk along the beach into town.

Fantasy island resort on Roatan would not qualify as a boutique operation but they have a nice beach area, pool, and toys (ski doos etc.) which would give her some fun stuff. Belize has some cool jungle activities on the mainland if you wanted to divide your vaction into diving and land based entertainment. If your wife likes to fish?? Belize has some nice bonefishing right in front of several of the resorts on Ambergris.

Another possibility is Portofino on north Ambergris Caye. I don't know what "boutique" means in this context, but Portofino is a very well run and attractive small hotel with a lovely pool and superb food. Not cheap though. They have a regular dive operation that is sometimes on site, but always available.

If you have a non-diving wife who wants to do more than relax on the beach, you should think about Placencia. In addition to having the best and longest beache in Belize, forty percent of Belize is covered by protected areas and the majority of these are in the southern half of the country. The Monkey River tour is a favourite (30 minute fun boat ride through the mangroves then head up river where you see crocodiles, huge iguanas and lots of birds in pristine rain forest. Your guide then takes you for a short hike into the rainforest to find howler monkeys and all the other flora and fauna. These guides are very qualified, licenced and help you understand what you are seeing). Cockscombe Basin Preserve is one hour away and ihas the highest concentration of jaguars and big cats on this planet and is a great place for rain forest/jungle hiking. I take my kids and grandkids there all the time when they come to visit.
You don't say when you are coming, but if you come at the right time you can do the whale shark dives. In 2010 the best time to see whale sharks is:
March 28th to April 8th
April 26th to May 6th
May 25th to June 15th
June 24th to July 4th
There is lots good diving here as we have several marine reserves and Laughing Bird National Park which is a world heritage site close by.
Splash Dive Center partners with a number of hotels and resort which cover a range of accommodation from budget to luxury. You can check us out at splashbelize.com

Should have mentioned that I took one of my daughters and her family to Anthony
Caye Resort in January 2009 and we all thought it's a great place. Not as much for non-divers to do at the resort as in Placencia, but they have enclosed daulphin encounters. Perhaps your wife would enjoy snorkelling - our trips to Laughing Bird Caye cater to both divers and snorkellers. We drop snorkellers on the caye while we do the first dive, then come back to the caye for a barbecue on the beach for the surface interval. Laughing Bird is also a great location for doing Discover Scuba if your wife want to try that out - an hour of theory followed by an hour of in-water skills, and then dive under the close supervision of an instructor.

Back
Top Bottom