Belize or Nassau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hibernatingpanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

I am currently trying to decide between a liveaboard in December with either the Sundancer II or Aqua Cat. Does anyone have any experience diving with them in December? How are the diving conditions this time of the year?

Thank you in advance!

I have done both locations, AquaCat and Belize Aggressor. Both are very nice boats. The AquaCat is larger with some of the largest staterooms I've ever seen on a LA. The diving in Belize is far superior to the AquaCat route, mostly because the lionfish have decimated the reef fish population in the Bahamas. They have a good start in Belize, but probably still OK.

I did the AQ in November and again in April a few years ago. Belize in April as well. The weather is a crap shoot. If you get a Nor'easter, it can be rough, but generally it's decent.

Also look at the Cayman Agressor. They get over to Little Cayman and Bloody Bay wall which IMO is some of the best diving in the Carribean. But sometimes in December, it's too rough to make the trip to LC and they stay around GC where the diving is just OK.

Note that the Belieze Aggressor and PH boats are owned by the same person and do the same route. A plus for Belize is the in-country opportunities for a few extra days if you have the time,

My wife and I only had a couple of dozen dives logged in 2008 when we did the AC. The following year we had close to 50 dives logged and went on the SD II.

In retrospect it was good we did the AC first, the diving was easier yet provided plenty of challenge with our first night dives, the washing machine experience, the Bahama Blue Hole and the shark feed. Plus the shore excursions were tops. There are plenty of YouTube videos for these dives.

We were both more comfortable and confident the following year on the SD II including the 135 ft dive in the Belize Blue Hole. We even enjoyed the pedulum swings of the SD II due to the long mooring ropes required of the bigger boat. If there is much wind topside, you have to finish your safety stop at the end of the swing, grab the trapeze and hang on until the boat goes to the other end of the swing then hop up the ladder.

Food on both of these boats was fantastic. The crew was great on both of the boats. Can't remember much difference in cabin comfort either.

I went with Aqua Cat last November. The weather was perfect, and the diving conditions were excellent. They offer a few shark feeds, so you have to chance to be mixed in with a dozen or so Blacktips. I was also, lucky enough to come face to face with a 10' hammerhead.
The positive side is that you have a great chance of seeing sharks, rays, and turtles. The negative side is that the fish population is lacking there, and you don't see the variety of other locations, such as the Florida keys.
I haven't been to Belize, but I hope to at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom