Belize offshore islands in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel1948

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I haven't posted in a while, in part because I have not dived in a while. My last scuba dive was April 9, 2011, in Fiji. (Beautiful country, wonderful people, nice diving but not spectacular, long exhausting trip to get there and back.)

I was certified on Long Caye, Glover's Reef, Belize, at Off the Wall dive resort, while staying with Slickrock on the same island, and I've been back once since then. I'm interested in returning to Belize and trying out a different location for variety. Long Caye, Glover's Reef, is very rustic. No A/C or plumbing in the huts, and showers are chilly unless it's been a hot sunny day. But the diving is about 5 minutes from the dock, easy drift dives. The sea can be so rough that I'm severely seasick by the time I get in the water. The corals are amazing.

I like calm seas, because I get seasick very easily. I like very warm water because I get cold easily. I don't like strong currents, and I don't like to go deep. 80 fsw is okay; 60 is better. In short, I'm a wimp and not embarrassed to admit it. I will be 64 years old this fall, and I'm in in good physical condition. I'm willing to stay in rustic accommodations when the surroundings are nice, but I won't turn down luxury accommodations, and I can afford to pay for what I get. Since it will be a year and a half between my last dive and this October, I'll take a refresher course. I've logged 116 dives since getting certified in April of 2008. So I'm not a rank beginner, but I'm still fairly new. I'm comfortable in the water, having snorkeled regularly as a kid. I'm OW certified. My air consumption is not as good as some, but better than many. My buoyancy control could use some improvement, but is not terrible. In short, I'm an okay diver for the kind of diving I enjoy.

I have minimal interest in wrecks. I love the corals and the pretty fishes, and I love to see big animals: turtles, eagle rays, sharks, as well as the smaller colorful fishes. I'd like a resort that uses small boats with few divers rather than large boats/groups, and I can afford to pay for that. I also need a place where they'll carry my tanks for me, and lift them out of the water for me, because I'm just not strong enough. That also excludes me from shore diving.

So now for my questions:

From what I read, it looks as though the water is still warm in October. Is this correct? Below 80 F. is chilly for me.

From my experience, the seas in the Caribbean tend to be much rougher on average in winter. Obviously, nobody can make any promises, but does October tend to exhibit winter type seas, or is it still more typical summer seas (i.e. calmer?)

I've never dived from the mainland, but I've read that the diving is significantly better on the offshore islands, so those are what I'm considering, but I only have experience with Long Caye, Glover's Reef, and the next island over, where the research station is, and where we kayaked for one day of each week. So I'd like advice about which of the other islands to visit, and which resort to stay at.

Access by airplane would be a BIG plus. The 2.5 to 3-hour boat ride to Long Caye is pure hell. SHORT boat rides to the dive sites is a big plus, due to seasickness. I have no interest in the Blue Hole. I dived in a blue hole once, and it was dark and cold. But I'd be fine taking a snorkel day when others go to the BH. I love snorkeling also. I've done a bit of freediving and enjoy it.

I hope this is enough information to make good recommendations, but not so much as to be tedious.

Best island; best resort?

Many thanks.

Daniel

Sounds to me as if Ambergris Caye would suit you very well. October is a good month to dive, and the water is still well above 80F (as it is most of the year). It's also calm and flat except when there's a storm in the offing (it's right in the middle of hurricane season, though these days actual hurricanes are rare), so no guarantees can be given. Visiting at that time of the year it's essential to have good trip insurance.

Thanks, Peter. Suggestions on specific resorts? My top priority is a safe, reliable dive shop. After that, nice comfortable lodgings. And yes, I always buy trip insurance.

Haven't time to reply at this moment, but I will in 24 hours.

The beauty of the outer atholls over San Pedro....ahem....sorry Peter..:D is that you can go to the lee side, in this case, the west side if the winds are blowing hard from the east or northeast. In San Pedro there is no escape from the tradewinds as far as diving goes.
And it's not likely you'll have bad weather for a whole week if you stay here then. But you do run the risk of a late season hurricane.

I've been to Marisol Resort on the southern most island on Glovers about 4 times. It's nothing fancy. Good food, easy access to dive sites and Glovers gets great vis. Most of it is a marine protected area.

I also go to Turneffe pretty often but the resorts there are more high end...ie, expensive. But it has a long west side that has good diving too. To me anyway.

Consider Huracan Diving on Long Key at Lighthouse Reef. Unless you want to hire a seaplane or helo, you will have to endure about an hour ride out there but once there, most of the diving is only a few minutes off the dock and many surface intervals are spent onshore. Relatively isolated lodge on a largely uninhabited island is limited to 8 guests which also limits the size of the dive party. Excellent food, service, and diving.

Sorry no pool, no bars, no disco dancing till 3 in the morning. Just extremely relaxing and priced very nicely.

Thanks, Peter. Suggestions on specific resorts? My top priority is a safe, reliable dive shop. After that, nice comfortable lodgings. And yes, I always buy trip insurance.

If you do go with Ambergris Caye, I found Chuck and Robbie's to be great. They were very safe, fun to dive with, and kept in great contact and did what they said they would do with regard to pick up times, etc. You can read reviews about them (and other dive shops) on trip advisor.

Back
Top Bottom