Belize May 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj:
Nope....the Belize-Placencia area as I stated in the begining of the report!....Know nothing else about the country...The Silky Cays & Sapodilla were nice....but if you want Marine life snorkel...you will see 100 times more.

I may go back someday....and would either do the Placencia Resort or Rum Runners...but it would be a very short trip and all "hidden costs" would be up front....but I do feel just a little burnt on spending almost 5K (including air) on a trip that I have 37 bug bites to show for it.
Your mistake was staying on the mainland. Next time you go to Belize, try to get a place on Ambergris Caye and dive from there. That's closer to the good stuff and quite a charming little island. Great ice cream too!

NatureDiver:
Your mistake was staying on the mainland. Next time you go to Belize, try to get a place on Ambergris Caye and dive from there. That's closer to the good stuff and quite a charming little island. Great ice cream too!

Is there an area around Ambergris Caye that has the WhaleSharks?.....I have dove reefs from the Red Sea to Australia.....I went to Belize for the Gladden Spit.....Please give me a link for the Ambergis Caye that discusses the WhaleSharks diving in that area and I will give it another shot...Thanks

If you specifically want the whale sharks, Gladden Spit is the place to go.

If you want to experience the best diving in Belize (sans whale sharks) I would suggest one of the liveaboards, they spend most of their time at Lighthouse atoll.

Travelnsj, you were just unlucky at Gladden. Chances are pretty good that you'll see whale sharks there. Like you mentioned, you were there before the full moon and it's best the week after. If you seen any off Ambergris you'd be extremely lucky. I did once but I lived there and went down the reef from Rocky Point to San Pedro coming home from work every day.

Back
Top Bottom