Belize May 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I arrived in Belize-Placencia on 5-9 thru 5-16 for WhaleShark diving which was 3 days before the full moon and dove with Roberts Grove.

Water temps 82 to 84, seas rough to calm….Everything I found on the internet and people I spoke with said three days before and after the full moon is when the Cubera Snapper are spawning….Thus WhaleSharks in the Gladden Spit!....well upon my second day of swimming in the blue for an hour at a time (prior to the full moon)….I asked one of the Dive Masters what was going on?…..she asked where did you hear that 3 days before the full moon? She said it is usually the 3 days after the full moon for the WhaleSharks and always has been! Well three dive trips, 6 total dives at the Gladden Spit, $750 plus….Nothing….my last dive day (a day after the full moon) there were people who had not dove in a year….They put them in 6’-9’ plus seas and strong currents!....They had to spend time adjusting weights, blowing thru air etc….Thus cutting dive times by 25 minutes! I know nothing is guaranteed (but I was told by more than one person that seeing WhaleSharks was)….but cutting your odds on $225 plus a day diving is greed on Roberts grove part.

Besides the WhaleShark diving it was typical Caribbean diving. I dove Silky and Sapodilla Cays. Some pretty beige soft corals and at Sapodilla some hard Corals….and some pretty fishies….once in awhile…here and there…just...OK diving. Roberts put 9 divers plus crew on a boat that should have had no more than 4 to 5 divers on it.

Belize is very expensive. I found the diving, meals, transportation to be the most expensive in the world. I can go to Palau for 10 days or more for what it costs to go to Belize for 5 days……and the diving is not in the same league….I have seen more in 30 minutes on a bad dive day in Palau, Christmas Island, Australia, Hawaii, Sipadan and even Costa Rica-Cano Island area that had visibility at 15’ to 20’…..Than I did in my 10 hours being underwater in Belize.

Would I go again?...I do not know…Perhaps with an all expense paid trip….paid by someone else!

Travelnsj,

Sorry to hear about your disappointing trip. Back in January, I was ready to book a trip to Roberts Grove for diving and at the last minute we decided to go to Bonaire and Curacao instead. We leave this weekend. I will post my thoughts when we return. FWIW, I have dived Maui, Hawaii, Cancun, Cozumel, Turks & Caicos, Catalina, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman and my favorite place so far is Little Cayman. Every place I have been, I met other divers that recommended Bonaire, so we are off to a new dive destination.

I am sure your next trip will be fantastic.

Rad21,

You made the right choice!

Sorry you had a bad trip, but I wouldn't condem a whole country because of one experience at a specific hotel. Belize is a relatively big place. Blue water diving when you don't get to see anything, or diving the other reefs in that area, are not representative of Belize's best.

I am condeming the whole country...never said that....The dive operations and hotels are all very expensive in the Placencia area...more so than anywhere else I have been. There are hidden charges everywhere and the taxes... I can afford to do it ...But I do not like getting ripped off with adminstration, transportation, phone call charges (they make), marine preserve fees, then another $10.00 for lunch on the dive boat, putting divers on an advanced dive that have not dove in a year or more...Did they ever hear of check out dives? Thus cutting dive time down to 35 minuters on about a $275 dive day (after you ad all the hidden stuff)...sorry will not and do not agree with those policies in any region or country....and I have been in quite a few...and that is disclosed up front. The Hotel I stayed at Calico Jacks was nice and would recommend.

Probably on a liveaboard woud be the best way to see it Belize and then you go out to Lighthouse reef etc...I have heard that is good diving....I also heard Sapodilla was one of the best spots...Yawn

Belize is very expensive. I found the diving, meals, transportation to be the most expensive in the world. I can go to Palau for 10 days or more for what it costs to go to Belize for 5 days……and the diving is not in the same league….I have seen more in 30 minutes on a bad dive day in Palau, Christmas Island, Australia, Hawaii, Sipadan and even Costa Rica-Cano Island area that had visibility at 15’ to 20’…..Than I did in my 10 hours being underwater in Belize.
this just made it sound like you were generalizing to the whole country and giving up on Belize completely, which would be a shame.

Damselfish:
this just made it sound like you were generalizing to the whole country and giving up on Belize completely, which would be a shame.

Nope....the Belize-Placencia area as I stated in the begining of the report!....Know nothing else about the country...The Silky Cays & Sapodilla were nice....but if you want Marine life snorkel...you will see 100 times more.

I may go back someday....and would either do the Placencia Resort or Rum Runners...but it would be a very short trip and all "hidden costs" would be up front....but I do feel just a little burnt on spending almost 5K (including air) on a trip that I have 37 bug bites to show for it.

Travelnsj:
Nope....the Belize-Placencia area as I stated in the begining of the report!....Know nothing else about the country...The Silky Cays & Sapodilla were nice....but if you want Marine life snorkel...you will see 100 times more.

I may go back someday....and would either do the Placencia Resort or Rum Runners...but it would be a very short trip and all "hidden costs" would be up front....but I do feel just a little burnt on spending almost 5K (including air) on a trip that I have 37 bug bites to show for it.

I had heard Palencia was expensive but I had no idea it was that bad. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It is a damn shame when they put inexperienced or rusty divers on a boat with you and not let them do a check out dive first. I agree that is unfair. It is good you speak out about it so the rest of us don't make the same mistake. What was that Dive Op's name again?

I did not have such a bad experience on Ambergris Caye, Belize as you did in Palencia but it was less than I expected, diving [the reefs were ok but not great] and hotel [Ramones Village Resort -crowded, not private, noisey and small rooms] -dive op was very good.

Better luck next time.

I hate hearing things like this, being from here, but you're right. It is getting very expensive to dive here. They just imposed some new tax, they also added the extra Marine Preserve tax last year or so....and gas is US$5.20/gal. The government here needs to wake up and realize that they pricing themselves out of the market, and to give tourism breaks on taxes etc. And the dive shops have to invest in 4 stroke motors. MOst use Yamaha 2 strokes which use twice the gas. For one of the normal boats with twin 200s to go out to Gladden loaded with divers will cost US$300 in gas. It was cheaper for me to take my daughter to Roatan for 5 days than to go to Turneffe Lodge for 4 nights and only 4 guaranteed dives.
Also, Robert's Grove is about the most expensive place here. Turtle Inn also.

Hank....I really did not want to post a report like that (and thank you for all the info you have given me)....perhaps if I would of seen the Whalesharks...it might of been a bit different....I knew Roberts was the most expensive...but to overcrowd their small white boat....then the last day...divers that had not dove in a year...on a rough day at the Gladded Spit and cutting my dive time by 25 minutes...Just when we found the Snapper!*@#$*&^!!!...Then the bill...lunch, transportation charges, Adm charges, Taxes etc.....That was the deal breaker for me....but I am assured The Roberts and your Government officals...Live well...LOL

Back
Top Bottom