Belize - Liveaboard or Land-based?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter:
We have become spoiled quickly on liveaboards....
If you like the liveabord scene, you really should check out Truth Aquatics, up in Santa Barbara. I did a 5 day cruise on Vision last August and it was simply fantastic. This is close to home for you and way cheaper than flying all the way to the Caribbean. I'm not suggesting one instead of the other...but do both! San Clemente was simply awesome...and it's right in your own back yard.

Bruce

We did the Peter Hughes Sun dancer lievaboard in Belize in April 04, and it was wonderful. Yes this is the operation whose Belize boat sank in a hurricane, so now they are extra, extra prepared. The boat was brand new, and very, very nice. The food was pletiful and gormet delicious, and the crew could not have been more helpful, even putting on & removing fins if you wanted. The land I saw in Belize was not so appealing, but the 5 hours from shore lighthous reef was incredible diving. We chose the Sun Dancer because it took the fewest number of passengers, and we don't like living or diving in crowds, but at every dive site all 3 boats (Nektron, Aggressor, and Sun Dancer) showed up (but anchored far enuf apart that we never saw the other divers) & and so I thnik they all dive the same places. Have fun.

Otter,
If you enjoyed your previous liveaboard experience as much..... and despite the really good land options in Belize, I would definitely say go the liveaboard route. It is the only way to see the length of the Belize coast in one week.

I did Peter Hughes several years ago and a four masted schooner (that is not in Belize anymore) twice and will find it hard to just do a land operation now. But, having said that, I have a muchn better idea of where I would like to spend extended periods ot time.

Nekton and the Agressor Fleet also have operations in Belize, but I can only speak for the ones I used.....

You can always spend a day or two after the trip to see the mainland archeaological attractions, if that interests you. PM me if I can be of help.

cheers,
maria

I've done land based on Ambergris Caye and The Sundancer. If you want to dive go with a live aboard. I love Amergris Caye topside but the diving was not up to expectations. The outer reefs are much better. We had crappy weather in June on the Sun Dancer and still had much better diving then at AC. We looked the Aggressor boat over and I'd go on it in a second. I have been on Dancer boats and Aggressor and the Dancers seem to be just a little bit fancier/nicer. I know nothing about the Nekton boats.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom