Belize Jungle tour (no diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did it, we did use the cruise line excursion. They put us on school busses that took us out to the site, where we rigged up, climbed up the hill and then road the zip line back down and then repelled back to the cave.

It was fun, but its a ways out of Belize City. You also have to factor in the time to tender from the cruise ship, as the boat anchors quite a distance out, much further than say Grand Caymans.

My advice remains the same if you're going to do the zip line/cave tubing thing. Might as well stay with the pack.

But if you decide you want to do something else, there will be a bunch of people waiting at the Tourism Village pier holding up signs advertising other tours to other places. You'll have lots to choose from, that's for sure.

As far as checking out any of the operators in advance, I don't have any info, sorry.

Here's some links you might find helpful:

Village Behind Bars

Belize City (scroll down)

I agree that if you go on a separate tour to any of the popular/accessible places the cruise ship has excursions, cave tubing/ziplining probably being Exhibit A, you'll still be dealing with the crowd. (Actually cruise ship(s) - might be other ships in the same day doing the same stuff. The zip line/cave tubing place has an amazingly large parking lot for the middle of the jungle in Belize.) It's not quite the same thing as going with a different dive op who takes you to a completely different and better site. So you might save some money or be with a smaller group, but the extra hassle probably won't accomplish as much as you hoped. And the long tender in Belize, plus the distance to anyplace you want to go to, is definitely something to take into consideration.

Now if you can find a tour you'd like that's doable but not as mainstream maybe it's worth it, and save the really common/popular activities for a future land-based trip on a day when no ships are in port. You keep saying "jungle tours" but that doesn't really mean anything. What is it you (or your wife) want to do, are you interested in ruins, caves, riding, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, biking, plants, animals, scenery ...? There is really quite a variety of stuff just a question of if you have time to do it.

Thanks tarp, I will take a look at them today.
Any idea if they pick you up at the pier?

Gaz, would love to dive with you guys, but wife is making me do the jungle tour :)

Any opinions on the people tarp mentioned or do you know of anyone else for a jungle tour?

Hey Lardo

Yep Peter is right no longer a dive operator and currently not living in Belize although I do market Belize and promote it and hense book many many people to Belize through my network of Belize websites promoting Belize as a dive destination.

After 18 years living in Belize running multiple dive operations and liveaboards plus a dedicated dive resort I logged literally thousands of dives in belizean waters, I now run my DIVE BELIZE The Complete Guide to Diving Belize website as an information source for potential visting Divers to Belize and book many dive packages for people to Belize using multiple dive operations all over the country.

As for the jungle trip i would do Lamanai lots of animals to see and a great ruin on the river

Gaz Cooper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom