Belize info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do decide to just show up please tell me how that goes, I will be spending 40 days in Latin America doing the college backpacker thing and hope to do exactly that since I am not sure when I will reach Belize on my trip. Please don't forget to post about your trip on the boards. Best of luck. I too have heard good things about Tobaco Caye. Best of luck to you.

We completed our second trip to Turneffe Flats, www.tflats.com in May. Great place to stay, 30 miles from Belize city on the east side of the Turneffe Atol. They will not take more than 6 divers on their Pro 48, very roomy. Great food, wonderful staff, and close to all the good sites, and away from civilization.

calhockey:
Any advice regarding Bottom Time dive op and Corona del Mar hotel? Other recommendations? Looking for a budget place, near/in town, diving, and a good time.

I also heard that food is very expensive in Ambergris Caye. How "expensive" are we talking about?

Thank, calhockey.

Both good and well regarded. Bottom Time is the longest established of all the current dive shops - probably 15 years or so. Corona del Mar is a small & friendly family run hotel that does a very good (free) rum punch.

Good food is maybe 50% more expensive than back home, and cheap food maybe double. But get it in perspective - how much of your budget doyou think will go on food? The Belikin beer here is a monopoly, but pretty good by most American standards (of course, we Brits wouldn't wash our feet in it!).

peterbj7:
The Belikin beer here is a monopoly, but pretty good by most American standards (of course, we Brits wouldn't wash our feet in it!).

Yes, I suppose it is a bit more comfortable washing your feet in your WARM English beer. :D

I have to grudgingly admit, it is good. However, ""warm" is room temperature there, and unless you were standing by the fire in the pub, it was fricken cold.

kdl:
1. Are there any dive operators or resorts that have small boats w/ limited divers (6-8)?

I'm in Belize at the end of July and I've done a ton of research on this.

Everyone I have talked to and all the threads I've read - there are three dive shops that keep coming up as superior in all aspects:

1. Peter Jones and Protech
2. Amigos
3. Ecological (former Protech staff from what I understand)

I'm going with Protech exclusively on my trip. The time Peter spent with me via email answering questions and what-not was invaluable.

Dive safe...

In regards to the backpacker inquiry. I'm not much on reservations either and have had the dive fairies looking out for me, especially in Belize. Tobacco Caye is not very talked about in dive magazines or on the board. It is SMALL, but the diving is wonderful. I had been on a live aboard for 8 days and did some extensive diving prior to my boat taxi from Danriga to Tobacco ($15). You should make arrangements with one of the operations prior to going (I did not). They brought me in and gave me a room, food, and diving (6 days for about $500)

If you are in Belize for awhile you might want to jaunt to San Ignacio on bus and do some caving. David the Rhasta man has a jungle "lodge" that will allow you to experience true jungle feel if you are not a luxury minded person and the Hi Et for $7 a night is clean and had no bed bugs. (The Tropical did)

Buses in Belize are EASIER than any Central American country I have traveled in and folks were great.

I'm not into pimping rays and feedings, nor the turista stuff up North. Highly recommend heading south from Belize City (as soon as possible) and getting to the good stuff.

Pura Vida

vox:
... I'm in Belize at the end of July ...

:D :D :wink:

I'm betting this speaks loads as to the quality of margarittas there. Dude, I'm so jealous, it sounds so nice and thanks for the info.

The drink in Belize is not the Margarita, it is the Panty Ripper - When made with an additional shot of dark rum......yum. In the Summer on a full moon you have a lot of night activity. A lot of spawning, freaky glow worms...(Technical scientific term)

Back
Top Bottom