Belize in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

becky_scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All.
I am heading to Amgergris Caye in Belize in January with my dive club. I've never been there and don't really know what to expect. I know that we are diving 2-3 dives per day from the dive boat, but that's about it. Can anyone tell me anything about Belize diving?
Thanks!

We have canyons that run east and west with sandy bottoms in between. From north on Ambergris the canyons are deeper and more coral and to the south you will see more fish/shark/ spotted eagle rays......
pm me if you want more info

Ambergris Caye is the worst of Belize diving. The barrier reef to the South (S. Water Caye area, and south of there) is much better. If you can get to the atolls (from Ambergris, that would be Turneffe and Lighthouse) you get great diving, especially at Lighthouse. There was a wonderful "camp-aboard" (homey and cheap liveaboard) operating out of Coral Beach in the center of San Pedro but the Forman family sold the place, and I dont think anyone does overnight trips to Lighthouse. You can go for a day to dive the Blue Hole but its about 80 miles round trip, much of it on the open ocean, so not so great. Still probably worth it to you to see the atolls and dive the Blue Hole (you dive to 140' and soar thru 10 ft stactites, in what was an above-ground cenote in the ice age when the ocean was 400' lower). Also the red footed booby rookery is on the S. caye, which is a park (ie no condos, resorts).

I am heading for Tobacco Caye (off Dangriga, on the reef, and close to Glovers) in January.

viva,

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking into doing a day trip to lighthouse and now I will put it on the itinerary.

Ryssyr,

Have a great time on AC.
Be careful not to miss dive oportunities on account of the non-divers. You can spend time with them when you get home. You can't dive the second largest barrier reef in the world when you get home....(did that sound cold??)

As to Viva's comment: The diving right off of AC may be the worst diving in Belize. I would compare that to eating at the "worst" 5 star restaurant in NYC. I loved diving the canyons 15 minutes from my hotel. That said, Lighthouse Caye is the BEST diving I have done to date.

The Blue Hole was a great "been there, done that" dive. I think most who have been there agree. I am glad I went once.

If you have not selected a dive op yet I would highly recommend Amigos del Mar. Great people, great diving.

Would you bring me back a bottle of One Barrel and and a to-go order of fish tacos from Monkey Bites????

Have a wonderful trip!

Hi there.
I am wondering what atolls are?

And also, what is the red footed booby rookery?

Thanks!

An atoll is an island of coral that encircles a lagoon.

Red footed booby is a bird. Rookery is a colony.

Back
Top Bottom