Belize in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shake-and-bake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am fairly new to diving, and this would be my first trip to Belize. Looks like a week or so will open up for me during the first half of April. Is there any reason why this might not be a good time to dive in Belize? What conditions can I expect?

Thanks much.

- Fred

Water temp should be back up towards 80-82F.
Trade winds likely. 5 to 20 mph. Not likely to get a cold front but possible.
Waves dependent on wind.
Vis normally good nearing mid to end of dry season.
Whale sharks still hanging around Gladden Spit if you come just after the full moon. (not sure when it is in Apr this year)

Whale sharks in April are April 15 ro 25rh so if you want to see them you need to come a little later (or come a different month). You can check out whale shark dates on our website splashbelize.com under Belize Scuba Diving Packages.

I agree with with diver Ralph. Last year I saw a whale shark during April between full to 1/4 moon when going out with Avadon Divers.

There is always good diving in Belize except late Aug through October when it can be stormy and rain a lot. However the prime time for diving in April is the 3rd full week from around full moon to around 1/4 moon. That's when whale sharks are often seen.

Thank you for the responses. Looks like it will have to be April 1 - 10 due to work restrictions; maybe I can plan my next Belize trip to coincide with the whale shark season. Got my flights and hotel booked, and I'm really excited for the trip!

Well, it's last quarter right now so it'll be new moon Feb 3.
The diving is good but the likelihood of seeing whale sharks is minimal.
We just saw a huge school of dog snapper spawning last Sunday (4 days after full moon). At least 5-600 of them. Also a school of 200 or more big, fat permit. Really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom