Belize for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sconway

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just learned from a friend that she is planning on getting OW certified next year, and she suggested a dive trip right away to Belize. I am ow cert with only about 30 dives so far, in Hawaii, Cozumel and Costa Rica. Would you recommend Belize as a diving destination for newbie divers? I keep reading about very long boat rides, live aboards, rough conditions, lots of current and remote resorts. So, my tendency is to think it is not a great beginner location. What do you think? Thanks for the advice!

I think you are reading about the Blue Hole, Ambergris Caye (aka San Pedro) is perfectly appropriate for divers of all skill levels! It is a barrier reef so all the diving is by boat out to the reef. Conditions can always vary but it was perfectly pleasant when I was there last summer. Actually Hol Chan, the marine reserve, is a GREAT place to learn! It's very shallow with a huge diversity of species. It's the Blue Hole where you get the really long boat rides besides the fact it's not a "great" idea to take a new diver to 130ft. Overall, I would recommend Belize and the Belize Pro Dive Center as my resort of choice! Belize Pro Dive Center | Scuba Diving & Snorkeling | PADI Courses

Yup, avoid the temptress of the fabled "Blue Ho".

Other than that, Belize is your oyster.

Most of the resort dive ops do entail a 20-30 minute boat ride, but it's largely in sheltered waters. They are smart guys, they will give you the best experience (as most anyone worldwide would) dictated by immediate weather conditions.

Most readers here would not be diving out of Belize City or mainland ports. That is a Cruise Ship thing and quite a thrash of a boat ride. A week spent on the mainland is not high on my list of things to do. Most SB folks go to stay at week-long resorts on the outlying Cays. Some, as you referenced, do liveaboards.

I keep reading about very long boat rides, live aboards, rough conditions, lots of current and remote resorts

Fairly average boat rides from resort to dive site if you compare this worldwide.

Live aboards? Not sure what would make them an issue... were you considering one? I'd say, go for it! It is expensive, but it is the only way to get many many logged dives in a week. It is not as relevant in some very few destinations as a hedge against weather (easy to move to avoid wind/wave) because the effect of weather in Belize is universal. The other plus to a liveaboard is moving to give you variety. In Belize, I think this is a non-issue, all of the out-islands are as good as another. They really pour it on thick over giving you an easy long trip to the Blue Hole which can be easily researched (an oft discussed topic here on SCUBABoard), because in reality, this is the only big difference that they can offer, other than the real holy grail of 4 and 5 dives each day.

A liveaboard is a great thing for new divers, especially ones that operate in the conditions of Belize. You have to decide what you want... a vacation with diving (available more cheaply on land based resorts) or a full blown dive boot-camp (much easier on a liveaboard). Depends on how you want your learning curve to accelerate.

Rough conditions? Belize can get a bashing, no less than Cozumel, in the Caribbean Tropical Storm season. I would be most concerned in the months of Sept-Nov and again in the first 1/6 of the year (Jan/Feb) when "Northers" (cold blasts from the US) come pushing down... like when it gets cold in Texas. There are ways to play the Caribbean even during this season that many think is carved in stone: Hurricanes "guaranteed" from August>November. Hogwash.

Would you recommend Belize as a diving destination for newbie divers?....with only about 30 dives so far, in Hawaii, Cozumel and Costa Rica.

Most folks with that dive history would place themselves firmly in the Navy SEAL category. It is never the raw number of total dives one has, it is more a measure of the breadth of your experience in different conditions, both of the sea and considering different dive op boats. Sounds like you've had more than enough experience to me.

Belize diving has lots going for it. Lots of good viz, interesting reef shape architecture, white sandy bottoms that really brighten things visually. It really rewards the more advanced divers who have learned close-in observational skills and have perfected their buoyancy. Getting in close for a look-see at the little critters on the reef is what these shallow Sun lit walls are best used for.

Most divers are usually agog at simply being underwater, or finding Lobsters. That's why reef shapes are a big deal, same thing as a "shipwreck"- they are easily identifiable and give 85% of the divers something (anything) to look at. This also explains the fascination of the Blue Ho dive site. It is simply just very easy to see.

Follow a good naturalist DM and advise them in advance of your skills, experience and any doubts. Listen to the dive briefing as if your life depended upon it. Take this opportunity to do at least two night dives. It is an excellent area to do this, and on the first one, you likely won't remember much... do two.

Belize, as with other similarly situated (worldwide) resort destinations, responded well in it's dive-op's behaviors and methodology due to the character & skill sets of the visiting divers. They are used to us bumbling Northerners coming down and trying our best to be good divers. I thank them for not snickering (out loud), but our standard type of visitor has taught them what to be ready for, how to react, how to make sure we live through the experience... maybe even enjoy it.

Oh, did I mention that you might not want to dive the Blue Hole? :search:

Last edited:
Ditto above. In my time there, I've seen lots of new divers, including many who were doing their cert dives there.

What's wrong with remote resorts? They may be remote but they're still easy to reach. Most if not all of them will greet you at the airport or at least help you with the travel arrangements, which usually involves a shuttle van or plane and possibly a boat ride. These remote resorts tend to be like land-based liveaboards, so you can dive your brains out and/or do guided tours into the jungle, then sleep in your own room or cabana.

Sconway, if you can handle Minnesota with it's sub-zero temperatures and 10-foot snow drifts in winter and black clouds of mosquitos in summer, you can handle a remote resort in Belize, lol.

Welcome to ScubaBoard, btw.

Reactions: Doc
Go for it---it was myself, wife, daughter's 1st 'overseas' dive destination back in Dec of '85-------Ambergris---........All did just fine(each had about 20 local dives under our belt when we went)........

Thanks to everyone for your fabulous advice! My concerns around live aboards and remote resorts are possible sea sickness (me), my friend is super active and not a great sleeper, and if she finds diving is not a favorite thing then it may not make for a fun trip for her. I am afraid a live aboard, as well as a remote resort may be a little limiting for her. But I will talk to her about it. She and I went to Costa Rica for a surfing/yoga camp on the Nicoya peninsula, and that was a little too hot and maybe isolated for her in general. Although we had a great time. I have not yet done a live aboard. For me alone or w my husband, remote and quiet would be fine!

Any advice for me on a live aboard if I tend towards being sea sick?

Glad to know that there may be other tour options from the remote resorts tho.

Thanks also for the advice on the time of year. She is envisioning this trip as an add on to another trip to Mexico. I was just so excited to have another potential traveling dive buddy that I forgot to ask when this is going to happen. :)

As far as diving exp, most of my bottom time has been on drift dives in Cozumel w small dive boat ops. I am there to relax and see the sites, so I like warmth and good viz. I find diving so peaceful. I have a very stressful career, and diving gets me in the ocean in a relaxing way. But I stick to my buddy and the DM, and I tend to be a pretty conservative and safety conscious diver. As an overachiever, I think I have a lot of exp to get before I feel really proficient. But I was happy when a DM told me he would dive w me any time as I was always careful about buoyancy, environment and stuck w him. I think the deepest dives I have done were around 75 - 80 feet. 130 ft, even at a neat location, is probably more than I would ever want to do- regardless of exp and training. I know I should try diving in MN lakes during our short season, but I just love the ocean and warmth. I think a lake is going to be less than satisfying.

Cant wait for a night dive (or dives)! Was supposed to do that in Hawaii, but was called off due to poor conditions after an earth quake.

Re Doc's comment on dive ops and all they do for us, my hat is off to them! To provide amazing service and experiences for bumbling northerners in an activity with inherit danger and varied conditions is pretty astounding.

I will post a trip report when thus adventure takes place!

Any advice for me on a live aboard if I tend towards being sea sick!
How prone are you to sea sickness? I have seen people turn green on cruise ships tied up to the dock.

With a live aboard there will ALWAYS be a continual pleasant rocking motion. Kinda like a rocking chair. It puts me to sleep. Others take pills or wear patches. I have never seen anyone too sick to dive. 3 foot swells are about as big as I have seen (except for 1 night crossing that we will not discuss).

Live aboards are mobile and flexible in their schedule. They avoid bad weather. Big waves tend to make the clients unhappy. So they run & hide from waves.

On our last Belize trip we spent the majority of the time sheltered away from some bad seas. This reduced the number of dive sites but not the number of dives.

They want you to have a good time and be happy.

Giffenk - thanks for the info.

I have to take a half dose of sea sick med every time I get on the water. That carries me through any dive boat I have been on. Long trips in really rocky conditions - like in open ocean looking for whale sharks, or off the Na Pali coast in the winter tends to make me queasy, even with some meds - never actually thrown up tho. I can even feel the movement of a long plane flight for a few days on the ground. I tried a prescription sea sickness med and had really weird results - like couldn't focus my eyes and my memory was kind of spotty. Luckily I tried the med at home first.

Live aboards are mobile and flexible in their schedule. They avoid bad weather. Big waves tend to make the clients unhappy. So they run & hide from waves.

But sometimes you can't run far or fast enough. Wave Dancer Remembered

I will post a trip report when thus adventure takes place!

Please do! And include lots of topside photos, wherever you go.

Thanks to everyone for your fabulous advice! My concerns around live aboards and remote resorts are possible sea sickness (me), my friend is super active and not a great sleeper, and if she finds diving is not a favorite thing then it may not make for a fun trip for her. I am afraid a live aboard, as well as a remote resort may be a little limiting for her. But I will talk to her about it. She and I went to Costa Rica for a surfing/yoga camp on the Nicoya peninsula, and that was a little too hot and maybe isolated for her in general. Although we had a great time. I have not yet done a live aboard. For me alone or w my husband, remote and quiet would be fine!
Here's an alternative idea.

ReefCI yes they are a bit remote, but then you get to dive some fantastic locations that others can't. Your friend can get involved with the research between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom