Belize for me and my non-diving wife/kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Trying to plan a family vacation for my kid's spring break week (end of March) and not sure where to go that my non-diving wife and non-diving kids will enjoy and I can still do a little diving most days but not be gone the whole dive day. Wondering if Belize is an option. Overall, is there much for non-divers to do - nice beaches, etc?

Second, is there a nice relatively higher-end sort of resort (Not Ritz-Carlton, but not "Cap'n Jacks Dive Shack") where diving is avail and easy, but not so dive-focused that family would feel like they spent the whole week on a surface interval?

Curacao for example was great for us. Marriott was nice in a typical Caribbean-resoty fashion; pool, couple of restaurants, nice beaches, etc and though they had easy diving on site and plentiful other spots around the island for me to do a quick dive while they played on the beach, it didn't feel like a "dive trip" for them. Anything similar in Belize from a diver-vs-nondiver standpoint? No Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt type chains obviously, and we're ok with no pool as long as there's a nice beach and the water is calm and clear.

My wife put it best, saying she wants a place like Curacao "where a vacationer can go to dive" as opposed to something like Bonaire where "a diver goes to vacation."

Only other constraint is needs to be relatively easy to get to flight-wise from New Jersey. Ideally direct from Newark (Philly or JFK possible if makes a significant price or schedule difference) or at most one easy connecting flight.

Looking to go 7 nights between March 27-April 3 (Sat-Sat) though flexible +/- 1 day either way (Sun-Sun, Sat-Sun, Fri-Sat, etc) if that makes air travel easier/cheaper.

Belize? Other locations? Mexico not option (wife gets sick if I even just speak Spanish), done Caymans, Bonaire, Curacao.

Appreciate any thoughts!

I've not done any land based diving in Belize, only liveaboard, so can't comment on that. Fantasy Island in Roatan could be a good option. Lots to do for the kids with a good beach, snorkeling, small zoo, monkeys running around for entertainment, side trips away from the resort like zip lines and good diving for you.

Fantasy Island Dive Resort - Roatan Bay Islands Honduras - Home

Like BTravlin all my Belize diving has been by liveaboard.

So I can't comment on land based dive operations with first hand knowledge.

But I will say that my 18 & 21 year olds loved Belize !!!!!!!

I visited Caye Caulker a couple of years ago. Divers and none-divers were all very happy. We stayed at Igana Reef Inn, which is the top resort/hotel on the island. t is very affordable / good value for money. It was top rated on Tripadvisor. It met our expectations. They have a nice pool and the hotel is next door to the major diving center of the island. There are many and generally good operators of half-day and day adventures. A lot of snorkeling at the nearby barrier reef, of cause, but also more advanced eco-tourism activities. There are also regular water taxi tours to the nearby, but much more busy (too busy for staying, I would say) Ambergine Caye. We are returning to Caye Caulker the coming eastern (April 2 - April 9). I should say though, that my wife is very fond of snorkeling.

There are resorts in the south, Hamanasi, Jaguar Reef, Thatch Caye that are close to all the land based fun. Cave tubing is only an hour or so drive from these resorts (Thatch Caye also requires a short boat ride to the mainland) And they have decent beaches. The diving is good in this area within Southwater Marine Reserve.

Belize was one of the most efficient and convenient airport experiences we have encountered. It's an easy flight from New England, the people are friendly, and there are so many fantastic opportunities for non-divers topside. Two years ago we traveled with some of my husband's family (all adults) who were non-divers or inexperienced/insecure divers. We stayed in Placencia (a peninsula south of Dangria.) Although the diving was some of the best we have done, it was a long day for just two dives. Most of the diving excursions from Placencia were 1-2 hour boat rides to the reef/atoll. For those who do not dive, the beaches were clean (groomed of seagrasses and other debris), palm-lined, and not at all crowded. There are fewer resorts, but that is one thing that appealed to us. We stayed in a private home on the canal side of the peninsula. Our non-diving companions went on several day trips (Monkey River boat tour, Xunantunich Mayan ruins, caving hike, kayaking the lagoon, cycling into Sein Bight (sp?), etc.) They felt is was a out-of-the-ordinary experience they might not have chosen on their own, but enjoyed very much. (These folks are used to all-inclusive, exclusive hotel travel.)

We're heading back to Belize, this time to Ambergris Caye, in a couple of weeks. While there seem to be plenty of resorty hotels there, and the diving is minutes off shore (1/2 mile from coast), I'm not sure how much there is to do on the island by day. Maybe someone else can answer that question. Also, the beaches on AC are more natural, so expect some seagrass. (We actually prefer the more natural feel.) From another forum, I gleaned the following information:
The best beaches on Ambergris include Journey's End, Rojo Lounge, Mata Chica, and Belize Legacy. (Rojo is a restaurant at Azul Resort.)

I have never traveled abroad with children. Speaking of which, it might be helpful to know the approximate age range of your children so others on SB can make appropriate recommendations.

Enjoy planning your upcoming trip.

Notwithstanding what get10wet said about the longer boat rides for diving from Placencia, Placencia is an excellent destination for a non diving family. Splash Dive Shop boats take about 30 minutes to reach the National Marine Park at Laughing Bird Caye and about 40 minutes to reach the barrier reef. If your non-diving wife is interested in trying out scuba, she could do the PADI Discover Scuba program or snorkel. Depending on the ages of your children, they could do the bubble blower program, Discover Scuba or even the junior open water program. Splash Dive Shop runs a program for teaching local kids whose parents cannot afford diving leasons free of charge so they have lots of experience teaching kids. There is a range of resorts and hotels that will fit almost anyones needs and budget.
Placencia is known as the caye you can drive to which allows you the freedom to explore the many attractions on land as well as dive in the pristine waters which lay off our 16 mile long white sand beach. Placencia is famous for its warm hospitality, friendly English-speaking people and opportunities for adventure. And you know what else – you can drink the water!
There is lots to do in and around Placencia. Your family can enjoy our 16 mile long sand beach. Our lagoon is beckoning exploration by kayak. Monkey River with its rain forest exploration to find huge iguanas, howler monkeys and Morelet’s crocodiles is a half hour boat ride though mangroves where you can watch for manatees. Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary is a great place for hiking in the rain forest and is less than an hour drive away Cockscomb boasts the world’s largest concentration of jaguars, pumas, ocelots and margays and myriad of other animals. You won’t likely see the jaguars, but perhaps they will see you!
You can check Splash Dive Shop out at splashbelize.com.

I have never traveled abroad with children. Speaking of which, it might be helpful to know the approximate age range of your children so others on SB can make appropriate recommendations.

Good point - 12 and 6.

Good point - 12 and 6.

I think Belize is perfect for a family mix of divers and non-divers. There are tons of activities you can all enjoy together (cave tubing, ziplines in jungle, Mayan ruin tours that are not to be missed!) as well as good diving. I don't know any families who have been to Belize who have not loved it for that reason. It is a good mix.

lots of cool hotels to choose from, friends stayed here and loved it: Ramon's Village, Ambergris Caye
check out this website: http://www.ambergriscaye.com/
Scroll through the "Belize photo of the day", there are hundreds of photos there showing the whole island, hotels, restaurants, etc.

:D

Back
Top Bottom